Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took my American Bulldog pup to the vet today because she had loose stools and a little bit of blood in it(which I found VERY weird because she got gotten her 3rd set of shots and deworming a week ago) and the vet found "tapeworm" and gave her a specific deworming for tapeworms since the previous ones were only used for other worms but not tapeworms.

He said tapeworms are transferred by ingesting fleas that carry it. I see my pups scratching themselves a lot lately, what is the best/safest flea preventive for them? They are 3 months and weight about 20 lbs.

I heard frontline is good and so is advantage, but are they safe? Thanks a lot!!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Safe yes. I used frontline the past two months and the fleas multiplied. It sucked!

I just treated them with comfortis, and within 40 minutes you could watch the fleas drop off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's funny because lately everyone says the same thing about frontline...I guess they changed their formula because apparently it does not work anymore.

I also heard great things about comfortis and advantixk9, Is Comfortis safe for puppies that are 12 weeks old? How old is your dog and how long you have been giving them that?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I'm not positive on the age for puppies. I used comfortis last year and never saw one flea, and we travel and train with hundreds of dogs.

I have 6 permanent dogs, nine pups right now, and others in for training at various times. The pups are six weeks, too young for comfortis, though barely still nursing. It isn't recommended for nursing bitches, but after discussing with the vet, we used it, and had no problems. Ages range from 14 years to 9months on my dogs.

Frontline used to work perfect for me, maybe its resistance, or change in ingredients I'm not sure.

ETA: I didn't give comfortis to the puppies, but to the mom. I also like it because no need to worry it may drip off, not enough oil in the coat, bathing too soon, or the dogs having a topical reaction. I have two at 100lbs, and the spot on is just a pain, having to divide it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts