Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why yes, I am quite thread-starting happy as of late :D

Anyway, there's a very nice grassy field about 2 minutes away from my house, that would be a perfect place for a dog to run around/play ball/play fetch in. I remember my friend and I used to take his Husky x German shepherd mix there all the time when he lived in the neighborhood. I was thinking that I could take my pup (when he comes home) there, because it's a wide open space and only a few dogs and their owners.

However, I noticed that overhead there are a lot of telephone/electric wires, and when I walk through the field, I always have a static, buzzing sound in my ear. I have also read in several articles about dogs being killed suddenly by stray electricity.

Am I worrying too much, as I have yet to hear of a dog getting hurt there, or is that just a plain old dangerous place to play for any dog? Thanks!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Hmmm....wow....I've heard stories of people LIVING under power lines getting cancer or other health problems, but I don't know if just walking/playing there would be dangerous. If you called the electric company, do you think they'd be helpful on the subject?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
You say there are other dog owners who play in the field. Could you ask them? Though I doubt they'll tell you its unsafe, especially if they let their own dogs play there.

I agree with Willowy, the power company could be helpful in letting you know if its safe. I don't think they'd be compelled to lie, one way or another, as there is already an obvious risk with electrical equipment and I doubt that they care if you use the field or not.

I mean, I live in the city, so we have power lines all over.. are you talking more about those big tower-ish things? Like this? http://www.readthehook.com/images/issues/2008/0704/news-sabotage.jpg (those things scare me when I'm other parts of the country!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts