Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're a little worried that Caeda isn't getting all of the mental stimulation she needs, especially when we are at work (or have a really busy day and just can't play as long).
Aside from the regular chew toys is there anything anybody can suggest that might help out with this, that is safe to leave with her while we are at work. She can chew pretty destructively if she takes a mind to. She gets a kong with frozen dog food in it as part of her breakfast right when we leave. She has a Kong genius for kibble, but she's lost interest in it completely and won't eat kibble from it at all now, she'll try waiting us out to get it dumped in her bowl (and even then....she doesn't like her kibble tons). She has tons of chew toys, Goughnuts, nylabone, kong etc (we won't give her a bully stick or pig ear unsupervised).
She gets a fair amount of stimulation when we are home, but we'd like to give her more. Any minimally-destructive toys out there that could help? Even toys that can be destroyed but are safe? Anything that isn't just a chew toy?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Kong Genius is really the only kind i've had personal experience with. I googled "Dog puzzle toy" and came up with
this list of dog toys that are puzzles, there are quite a few! But I can't speak to their durability.

I then went to petsmart.com and selected "Dogs" then "Toys" and then the "Interactive" toys. There are lots of interesting toys there! One toy on this list is "Petstages Occupi Treat Dispensing Chew Toy" and when I was last at petsmart I looked at it, it seemed pretty tough. You may have to rely on reviews and your own judgment for most of the toys' durability though. There is a line of toys called "Orka" I've noticed at petsmart as well. They seem pretty tough, and their "jack" looks like it could be a good interactive toy (link to orka)

You can also consider putting different kinds of treats into the toy. I have dehydrated goose, liver, kidney, heart, and sweet potatoes (all home made, its easy and cheap) that I break into pieces and stuff into the toys. Peanut butter is always a good option (for toys they can get their tongue into, of course) and I like to mash cheese into the ridges of kong stuff-a-ball, it takes her a long time to get it all out, but she gets a little bit at a time, so every attempt is rewarded :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Good food toys are buster cube & bob a lot. Can put their meals in them &they play while eating.

Non food toys I like are from Kyjen, they have good puzzle toys that also involve food, my dogs like the hidden squirrels & bees.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. We're going to be going to a larger city in about a week we might be able to see some of these in person.....kind of hard to tell durability online.
We just gave her a new plush toy today....a "MIGHTY" toy, supposed to be super durable. Even with playing fetch with her with it during the time she had it, it is hemorrhaging fluff within about 2-3 hours.
She has a Goughnutz which is lasting well, but she isn't a fan of chewing it....she wants to charge at us with it lol.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
... don't feel guilty... none of us have the time to really educate our pets... consider the mental workout that working dogs get.

The psychologist who owns Chaser stopped 'training' her after she learned names for 1000 different toys. For the research paper, I infer that he simply ran out of time and patience to teach Chaser more words.... So I didn't feel too bad that I only taught my dog to read 10 words... otherwise, he sleeps 18 hours a day :)

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I really like the Tug-a-Jug. If she isn't really interested in kibble dispensing toys, you can get some high value treats chopped up into little bits (I use pieces of chicken jerky or dried liver) and mix it into the kibble. First of all I think it rubs off some of the scent of the treat onto the rest of the kibble so her kibble will be "yummier," but also if she knows that there is a chance that every once in a while a really yummy treat will fall out, she'll work harder for it even if you are still using mostly kibble.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greater Swiss - I love your question - Considering that you already have a GoughNut please consider the GoughNuts Cannoli and or the GoughNuts Stick. The Stick will press fit into the Cannoli and or an Original GoughNut. To entice your animal, food may be place in the Cannoli that can be easily cleaned. We are probably a month away from releasing our next instructional video that will show how use the Cannoli and I will include a section on puzzles. To my knowledge, no dog has figured out the most difficult GoughNut puzzle that is using two sticks on the ends of the Cannoli and putting a food product inside. I am sure it will happen but no reports as of yet.
Ooooh, very cool. I'll be looking into the Cannoli for sure. We've got the stick along with the original GoughNut and she quite enjoys that. I'll be checking out those puzzles since I'm sure they'll keep her busy for a while!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts