Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my dog to the vet last week and did some blood work. The vet told me he has a really high liver enzyme count. Its suppose to be around 103 range, and my dogs number was 1,660 ! It is also obvious that my dog has severe dental problems and that he needs to get it fixed. We scheduled his dental procedure for Tuesday, but I'm worried on his going under anesthesia when his liver is all messed up.

He is also a old dog ( 13 years old maltese ).

Should we fix the liver problem first then proceed with the dental? Or is it okay to do dental before treating his liver? The vet said the most important thing to do is the dental, but I feel like my dogs liver will add a risk .

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I'd get a second opinion. Anesthesia is processed by the liver, so if the dog has certain types of liver disease, anesthesia can be a problem. Does the vet feel the dental problems are causing the liver problems? Dental problems can cause systemic health issues in dogs, which is why it's so important for dogs to chew and to brush their teeth. If the vet feels that the only way to treat the liver disease is to treat the dental disease, that may explain his willingness to take the risk.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I just got a dental done on my 2 year old golden and I was scared to death. If I was you I wouldn't take a chance with the dental...given the dogs age and medical condition it is not worth the chance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts