Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maddie looooves to go for rides in the car, so I like to take her when I run quick errands and long car drives. What is a safe, quick way to travel with her? I'm assuming the safest way would be to buckel her crate into the car.....I drive a 2 door Jeep and to get that thing in the back seat would be a nightmare. Any other suggestions?

Note, it's cold right now, but come spring time the Jeep turns into a convertible with the doors off. I could keep her in the back seat or behind the back seat. I could tie her leash off to the roll bar on top of the Jeep too. What do you all think? Would a dog ever be dumb enough to actually jump out a window of a moving car? She likes to hang her head out the window but I get nervous.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Dogs have been known to jump out of moving vehicles. Securing her with a leash would be too risky, in my opinion.

I would try to find a way to secure a crate in the back. This way she will be protected from flying objects when it's convertible time. Maybe pick up a second crate and just keep it in the back ready to go.

If that's totally impossible, a seatbelt that would hold her securely.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what about buckling the seat belt through her harness? What's the deal with these doggie seatbelts I've read about? Any different than buckling through the harness?

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Would a dog ever be dumb enough to actually jump out a window of a moving car? She likes to hang her head out the window but I get nervous.
Dogs absolutely jump out of moving vehicles. A dog hanging his head out the window is susceptible to getting eye damage from the impact of debris and insects. Dogs don't have thumbs so they are at risk from bouncing out of open vehicles hitting potholes and during maneuvers.

When I drive the full-sized van, I crate the dog and secure the crate with tie-down straps. The large-dog crate won't fit in my subcompact (Yaris) so I clip his harness to the seat belts with a carabiner (the type suitable for climbers--not those aluminum key chain deals). In the wife's station wagon, we use one of those barriers that separate the cargo area from the seating area. Securing the dog in the vehicle protects you as much as him. A dog moving around in a moving car can cause accidents, and I don't need a 70 lb. missile in my car compounding an emergency.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts