Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So an Internet friend and I are having a disagreement over beef trachea and pig's ears as chewing relief for a 10 week old puppy. She's of the opinion that they're not safe at all because of toxins and salmonella, while I'm of the opinion (after some research after her comment) they're okay in moderation - about one per week. I thought I'd bring this debate to you guys and see where your opinions lie.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think SOME of them are fine. I give them if they are simply dehydrated, not cooked, not flavored. Drying kills a lot of the possible bacteria, dogs have immune systems that can deal with higher loads of those bacteria than we can handle. Being a puppy under seven months, that immune system isn't fully up to adult speed yet so, limiting them to 2-3 per week total is a good idea. I like Better Than Ears, Busy Bones, CHOPPED rawhide chews and, knotted rope bones for teething puppies. If it's summer, I will wet the rope bones and freeze them overnight - pups like the cold treat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think SOME of them are fine. I give them if they are simply dehydrated, not cooked, not flavored. Drying kills a lot of the possible bacteria, dogs have immune systems that can deal with higher loads of those bacteria than we can handle. Being a puppy under seven months, that immune system isn't fully up to adult speed yet so, limiting them to 2-3 per week total is a good idea. I like Better Than Ears, Busy Bones, CHOPPED rawhide chews and, knotted rope bones for teething puppies. If it's summer, I will wet the rope bones and freeze them overnight - pups like the cold treat.
I loved Better Than Ears (and so did Aaerro!) when I could find them in the stores around here! I might have to get them from an online store now, heh. And I soooo plan on using the Rope bones and soaking them /freezing them for Myrrh. She really enjoys her rope chews, so freezing them will most likely make them a hit with her! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts