Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
So, I've tried bones (the sterile type), I've tried dear antlers, and I've tried Nylabones. My dog likes all of them. But it seems they all have a chance of breaking his teeth, or having bits get lodged in his intestines.

Are there any chews toys that have the minimum chance of hurting the dog? It seems like the type of thing that not likely to happen, but it does happen to a small minority of dogs. I'm just trying to find something to give my dog the chewing (and teeth cleaning) benefits, but minimize the risks.

Any other hints or advice? I never let him chew in the kennel. And we're home when ever he's not in the kennel (and has access to his chew things). What other tips do you have regarding chewing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi. My pup is teething so I've done my share of experimenting with chew toys that are as on the safe side as they can get... the best chew toy I have found look like two "keys" on a ring that are hard with a tiny bit of give for chewing and they made the biggest difference for my pup! I found them at a local pet store where I live but I'm sure they sell something similar or even the same exact thing at any pet store. I attached a pic. so you can see what they look like. My pup goes and goes on chewing this and nothing has ever broken off or chipped, etc... and they did have another pair with more ridges to aid in teeth cleaning but i got him the regular ones. It really almost looks like something an infant would use for teething.
Hope this helps. Good luck :)
sorry pic is so big i dont know how to resize.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for posting the picture. I wonder if the material is like the hard nylabone? My Nylabone kind of looks like that, but maybe a bit more roughed up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i had a hard nylabone too at first, and Riot's "key" chew toy in pic isnt quite as hard as the nylabone... it's like whatever "one step under" would be, if that makes any sense, which is actually why i think he loves it so much for chewing because of the small amount of give it has. oh and his other chew toy that became popular pretty quick around here is this item made by Kong called Dental Kong Dog Toys, there are two versions that I've seen and they come in different sizes. Riot just has the smaller one and will go at it forever, when he's on a "break" from his key things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts