Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Sad Update On Rosie The Foster Dog

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  DJsMom 
#1 ·
For those of you who remember Rosie, my foster dachshund with the missing hair, and bad skin, you'll also remember that I posted awhile back on her improvement. Her skin was healing, and her hair was growing back. We were estatic.

Things have taken a drastic turn for the worse, and each day is looking more and more grim. We also have a new health problem going on as well.

Rosie is drastically looking hair, and is covered in scabs all over her body again. Her face, which had began to grow out a nice thick coat, has become thin haired and scaly. She scratches constantly. And I mean constantly, as she whimpers in pain. She is losing weight steadily, despite being fed very often, and in large amounts. She is now, litterally, skin and bones and looks like she is being starved to death.

The vet did bloodwork and did not see anything wrong, and her thyroid came back fine. She's also negative for Cushing's. And we cannot, and neither can he, understand why she went from having such improvement, to going downhill again so fast without absolutely any changes to environment, shampoo, food, or anything. She's still being bathed with Malseb shampoo, still on the same food, still flea-free, ect. It's baffling.

She's now back on Prednisone and Cephelexin, because she has a staph infection again from scratching all the time.

To make things worse, her adoptive home backed out last week, before we could even give them an update on her health. That really didn't make a difference anyways, because Rosie isn't adoptable at this point, and either never will be, or will not be for a very long time.

And on that note, more bad news. At only 2 years old, she has a mammary tumor that's been discovered. And a nice size one too. I'm taking her in soon to have it biopsied and to see if it's benign or cancerous. If it's cancerous, given her current state with her other issues going on, I can't say that having her PTS isn't an option. Which is heartbreaking, and I've been in a pretty edgy mood this entire week. I'm starting to get sick of everyone around me in RL telling me not to worry, things will get better soon. I'd like to know when, because things have been BAD lately.

Anyways, thought I would update everyone, as I've had a few e-mails asking how she's been doing lately.

Prayers and positive thoughts for Rosie, please?

See less See more
#2 ·
Rosie is in my thoughts and prayers. Hope the tumor is benign. It is so hard to be a Mom sometimes. Hugs for both of you.

#6 ·
I'm so sorry to hear about this....good thoughts and prayers headed Rosie's way...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.