Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend works at a local vet clinic. They just adopted a puppy, a man brought in a litter of great Pyrenees and border collie mix puppies. She went to lunch, came back and the pups had all been euthanized except the one she agreed to take. This is the second time he brought a litter in. The girls at the clinic even offered to spay his female, pay for it all, and he refuses to fix either dog. Pitiful.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Why did the vet agree to kill healthy puppies?

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
That's how I found Jo, she was taken to the pound when she was just 4 wks old with he three brothers to be euthed :(. Tx cattle dog rescue pulled them & saved their lives.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Prime example of an irresponsible human who does not need to own a dog or any other living creature IMHO! Disgusting! :(

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know why they euthanized them. Surely the girls would have taken them temporarily. Though its not the clinic I used to work for, that's one reason I no longer am a tech. It happens alot around here. Shelters are full, clinics need the space. Its too sad.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
When I was in vet school, one of my classmates worked at a rural vet clinic where this would happen from time to time. If the vet refused to euthanize the puppies, people would come up with whatever method they could think of to kill them themselves - drowned being most common, apparently. So my opinion of vets who would agree to do such a thing was a bit softened after hearing that story.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They would be better off if the parents had been altered. In the circumstance, at least the didn't suffer. There are so many more that are dumped, shot, or drowned.
I just don't understand why this man would not agree to spay, as it wouldn't cost him a dime.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
A lot of people think that working dogs can't be spayed/neutered, or it'll ruin their working ability. And if the female is an LGD, he wouldn't want to pull her away from the flock when she's in heat.

I do find it odd that he'd feed them for 2 months before doing them in. Most people like that will kill them at birth.

In most cases, healthy friendly puppies would be better off at a shelter. They usually have a chance there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts