Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Those are both horrifically depressing stories...nice to see new bills being presented that might help combat bad breeders, though.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
She paid $1,100 for that dog?! No wonder she wants her money back.. but I don't think she should.. Parvo symptoms can start showing up three days after infection.. and her dog got sick on the fifth day, and she admitted she had taken it to the pet store... That's not the breeder's fault.. bad breeder or not.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
She paid $1,100 for that dog?! No wonder she wants her money back.. but I don't think she should.. Parvo symptoms can start showing up three days after infection.. and her dog got sick on the fifth day, and she admitted she had taken it to the pet store... That's not the breeder's fault.. bad breeder or not.
Yeah that was my thought. First of all, the lady should have taken her puppy to the vet immediately... especially since she noticed there was something weird about her behind (not exactly sure what that could have been or whatever but still).
The breeder sounded pretty bad to me... letting go of a puppy at 7 weeks on the day it was due to get it's last set of shots, before it received the vaccinations. That should have been a red flag to anyone wanting to purchase a puppy from her.

I think the lady should be kicking herself in the butt for being stupid.

The first story was very sad. It's pretty sick what people will do to animals.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the cost includes the intense parvo treatment.

·
Banned
363 Posts
Not that I am defending what the fireman did, but is it against the law to euthanize your own dog? I always sort of figured it happens a fair bit in rural areas for various reasons. What is the difference between doing that or taking him to a vet, paying $60 and presto? Or would a vet refuse to put a healthy dog down and tell him to surrender the dog to a shelter?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Not that I am defending what the fireman did, but is it against the law to euthanize your own dog? I always sort of figured it happens a fair bit in rural areas for various reasons. What is the difference between doing that or taking him to a vet, paying $60 and presto? Or would a vet refuse to put a healthy dog down and tell him to surrender the dog to a shelter?
It is illegal and I don't know any vet who would euthanize a healthy dog like that. Certainly not a reputable vet. Not any vet I have ever been to.

The man can afford a cruise but can't pay to have his dogs boarded?

·
Banned
363 Posts
OK that makes sense. I can't really imagine any vets I know putting healthy dogs down either.

How does it work if there are no shelters around? What is someone supposed to do then?

BTW, I think anyone who would brag to friends about killing their own healthy dogs is sick, I'm just curious as to the laws. I mean, if someone's dog is very old and sick and needs to be PTS and they would prefer to take the dog to the woods and shoot them, rather than to a vets office, I don't really have a problem with that. Its like that movie, Old Yeller. He's my dog, I'll shoot him.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the cost includes the intense parvo treatment.
The cost of treating parvo is at least $1200 and up. So I'm sure that the $1000 was just for the puppy. Plus she would have to pay for cremating the body. I would have asked for all of it.

As for the fireman, he could have asked someone to look after his dogs. Or give them to a shelter. He is an idiot if boarding costs were his excuse for killing his dogs. If killing your own dog is legal then there should be a stipulation that only if the dog has no quality of life. Although, it sounds like with an owner like him, the dogs were better off in doggie heaven. And then brag to his buddies at work? I think the wrong beings were shot.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Not knowing the particulars of the Fireman situation I can say if he lived here, the shelter is no kill and there is no room (some of the dogs have been there for years). There is no place to take a dog you do not want.. and that leads to abandonment, Euthanizing using the Smith and Wesson brothers and any number of other cruel practices. There is no AC where I live either... (you call the local, Part Time Police department if you find a stray and they ask you to keep it while they look for the owner.... ). It is illegal to shoot your own dog here.. tho it is done (obviously) but not 'advertised.' Vets will not, on ethical grounds, PTS dogs or cats that are otherwise healthy.

This does NOT excuse him for shooting his dogs. Bragging etc. is sick. What a jerk. At least in the context of the story.

The Parvo puppy... nothing much to add. Even if she had taken the puppy to a vet the day she got it, and it was vaccinated, it is unlikely the vaccine would have taken b4 the pup got sick.. and it is likely the pup was exposed right around the time she was taken home. IF (as the story implies) she took her new puppy, unvaccinated, to the pet store.. well, that is a likely source of infection.

As to the breeder saying "Oh she was scheduled for shots later today but you came and picked her up b4 that.." If you believe that I have a nice Toll bridge for sale.. CHEAP!

·
Registered
171 Posts
YES.... taking a rifle to your dogs are considered animal cruelty.... euthanization is done by injecting a substance into the animals veins to calm them and then a substance which slows and eventually kills them without suffering. Shooting your dog with a riffle could cause immense pain and if you have to shoot it multiple times to kill it, it definitely suffers.
People in rural areas still shoot their own dogs and the dogs of other... and many are prosecuted... unfortunately many are not.
If your dog is healthy there is no reason for you to shoot it... and the vet won't put it down... you need to surrender it to the local animal control or animal shelter if they are full you can try adopting out your dog on your own.
There are no reasons for killing a healthy animal. Especially not cause you don't want to pay for boarding them.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
It is illegal and I don't know any vet who would euthanize a healthy dog like that. Certainly not a reputable vet. Not any vet I have ever been to.

The man can afford a cruise but can't pay to have his dogs boarded?
No, it's not illegal to have a healthy dog euthanized unfortunately.. at least not in Minnesota. My grandma had a Doxie named Missy for 6 years, and then my grandpa died, and my grandma had to move to this little town house community for the elderly... she wouldn't be able to have her dog there.. So she asked around and found a "Friend" who would take Missy, and my grandma believed that they would be her wonderful, loving, new forever home.. So with the knowledge that Missy would be safe and happy, she signed the lease and moved into the town home. Two days later my Grandma drove over to her "Friends" house to visit Missy, and Missy wasn't there... Her "Friend" had given Missy away.. She found out who she had given her to, and a few days later managed to find the home she was now in.. When she got there she asked to see Missy and they brought her inside and led her downstairs where Missy was being kept in a dark, dirt floor basement all alone.. She had obviously been abused in her time there, she was now skittish and cowered away from touch, and hadn't been fed.

So she took Missy away from them and brought her to her new town house where she wasn't supposed to have her.. She said Missy wasn't herself anymore.. she just cowered in the corner and didn't want to come out, she wouldn't let my Grandma touch her, wouldn't eat.. Anyway my Grandma decided that taking her to be euthanized would be the best option now since she didn't want her to end up in a shelter or in another bad home..

The vet had no problems with it apparently.. though I do. I was pretty young at the time and remember begging my mom to let us take Missy instead but my parents didn't want a dog.. so she was euthanized :( Now don't take this story and assume that my grandma is a terrible person for having that done.. she isn't... She's the sweetest woman I've ever known who just did what she thought was best for Missy. It just about killed her to do it.. I think given the chance she would choose to stay in the house with the dog.

Apparently Minnesota law considers a dog personal property, and you have the right to decide what happens to it, as long as it's humane.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Vets can and do put down healthy dogs. It's a great relief to me that I work at a clinic that has a sign stating we will not put down any dog that is healthy or could be made healthy with reasonable care. This also includes fixable behavioral problems. For example we took in an 8yr old dog that was incontinent when the owners wanted to put her down instead. We always offer surrender to owners in those sort of situations. It doesn't always work out though.

We had a yorkie puppy in that was having diarrhea. It wasn't parvo, most likely just worms or something equally easy to fix. The owner insisted that we put it down. Heck no! We offered them to surrender the dog but they refused.

Later that day we got a fax from the 24 hour emergency vet. The owner had taken the dog there, they offered to have the puppy surrendered as well. The owner refused so they put the puppy down. There was nothing illegal about that but ethically...

We were all heartbroken.

As to the pup with parvo. I have to agree with everyone else, I'm not gonna fault the breeder on this one. If the rest of the litter is all healthy then it is highly unlikely it was contracted at the breeders. Also, it takes 2 weeks for the first shot to MAYBE become effective. Even had it been given that day it's unlikely it would have helped.

FYI the reason for three shots for distemper/parvo is that it's hard to know when the shot became effective. The first shot for some dogs is good, but for most it isn't because they still have to much of the mother's antibodies and the mother's antibodies keep the pup from developing their own. The second shot at 12 weeks is more effective for more dogs but still won't get all of them. It's not until the third shot at 16 weeks that we can be almost 100% sure that all of the mother's antibodies are gone and the pup has now been able to develop their own.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
YES.... taking a rifle to your dogs are considered animal cruelty.... .
all that I have to say is that if one of my dogs were hit by a car, and it was obvious that they weren't going to make it, I'd save the $60 and end it myself. I've done this same thing for a friends cat, and I have not problem doing it again. I'm not a cruel person, I just can't stand to see an obviously dying animal die.

·
Banned
363 Posts
YES.... taking a rifle to your dogs are considered animal cruelty.... euthanization is done by injecting a substance into the animals veins to calm them and then a substance which slows and eventually kills them without suffering. Shooting your dog with a riffle could cause immense pain and if you have to shoot it multiple times to kill it, it definitely suffers.
Actually, a dog shot at close range in the chest with a rifle is not going to suffer, he will die virtually immediately. You can drop a 1,000 lb moose at 300 yards; an 80 lb dog 10 feet away? No more suffering than at the clinic. And at last his last few moments are spent in the woods rather than a vets table. So its not cruel if the dog has to be PTS anyways.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts