Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exciting news! A few weeks ago, I was at a creek with Soro and he SWAM across. Like, not awkward-hopped or splashed or waded, but SWAM. I didn't even ask him to! I rewarded profusely with hotdogs. For the rest of that day he found the shallow parts and went back to wading, but that's ok!

Some background... Soro the black lab mix has never willingly swam in his life and nothing worked. We tried: me pretending to drown, playing with other dogs that swam, highest value rewards in the water, throwing awesome toys, pushing/pulling him in...

Inspired by that moment of success, today I went back and tried to replicate it. All I do is walk along the river, wade across, and ask him to come. The first couple times he was smart/chicken enough to run all the way back to the shallow points. But I kept playing him out and when he arrived I would already have been back on the other side... AT LAST, he SWAM across again!! Jackpot reward from me. I stopped it right at that. So, it's a start!

Sacrifice... You ever get so deep into trying to do something with your dog you forget common sense details, like taking your cellphone out of your pants pocket before wading hip-deep through a creek? So, no more phone... But one step closer to teaching my dog to swim! Huzzah!

·
Registered
265 Posts
That's so funny. My 12 y/o lab/pointer mix swam for the first time willingly a couple of months ago. Only once. He also loves splashing around in the shallow water. They can be so bizarre!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Sacrifice... You ever get so deep into trying to do something with your dog you forget common sense details, like taking your cellphone out of your pants pocket before wading hip-deep through a creek? So, no more phone... But one step closer to teaching my dog to swim! Huzzah!
I've been there. And Indy didn't even need me in the water to go swimming.
Putting it in a bag of rice to dry out does actually work sometimes. Best thing to do is take the battery out (if possible) band let it completely dry out before doing anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts