Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were laying down watching T.V. and noticed Bubba started shaking. At first, my husband thought it was hiccups but it didn't seem normal to me. He was alert and responsive, his gums were pink. Everything seemed normal except for the shivers so i decided to walk him outside and see how he interacted with the others. When we walked across the living room, his paws gave out and fell flat on the floor. I paniced and started yelling for my husband to come - while my husband held him, i ran to the kitchen, grabbed some honey and smeared it on Bubba's gums. I called the vet and told them what had just happened and that i was on my way to them.
By the time we got to the vets, Bubba was back to normal. However, his glucose was at 43. The Dr. told me they were going to keep him overnight for observation, i said no. I'll wait for as long as i had to but he wasn't going to stay. Dr. said they wouldn't release him to me unless his glucose went up to at least 70. They tried feeding him to see if the glucose would go up but Bubba wouldn't eat. So i asked if i can feed him myself and we'd take it from there. Bubba ate and one hour after - his glucose had gone up to 74.
We dropped him off today for a glucose curve - i think we need to readjust his insulin dosage. I hope all goes well today - wish us good luck!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
How scary!!!

I hope things went well for you and Bubba today and I hope he's' feeling better.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just got back from picking him up...we are adjusting his insulin from 6 units to 4. Re-check in 10 days to confirm he's at the correct dosage. The blood work from yesterday was showing low numbers on his thyroid they'll make a final assessment in 10 days to confirm if the thyroid was infact low or the low numbers were due to his glucose dropping. Other than the thyroid and his sugar lever, all other organs were good.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Oh My goodness! That is really scary Salak. I am glad he is doing better today. Hope it keeps going well now.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
me too, thanks Inga. They can't understand why his insulin needed adjustment so soon. They checked it 6 months ago but i guess Bubba had to remind us it was time for a re-check.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Poor Bubba. Those insulin episodes are scary. When my cat has them, he spaces out. I give him Karo syrup, I guess honey would do the same. I hope he is doing okay.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks Patt - this is actually my first episode with Bubba. Very very scary... Now i understand why my groomer prefers i pick him up first. When was your cat diagnosed?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Sorry...... it was many years ago, and I don't remember.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts