Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I am new here, so I'll just plunge right in with a question. A bit of background: I have a 10 year old St Bernard who is paralyzed in the rear end. She has been for 7 months. I have to watch her for urinary tract infections, but her health has been ok so far. She has a history of fatty tumors, also. We had to remove one back before she was paralyzed because it started to open up and it wouldn't heal. Today, I discovered a place on her back that appears to be a similar knot that opened up. I shaved the hair from around it and cleaned it with a clean cloth and warm water. In the process of doing so, a white/yellow thick substance began coming out of the wound. I can't tell if it's pus, or some sort of fatty tissue. It was pretty thick. Pus is usually runny. I got as much of that out of her as I could, recleaned the area and put a little neosporin on it. I can't very easily take her to the vet due to her condition and with this being Saturday night, and Memorial Day weekend, I can't even talk to one until Tuesday, most likely. Anybody on here have any experience with fatty tumors or abcesses? I guess I'm asking if there are any other precautions I should be taking with this until Tuesday. I did give her some sulmet, which I keep on hand for urinary tract problems. At first, I thought it might be a bot larva embedded, but that is not the case. Any advice would be greatly appreciated until I can talk to a vet.
Thanks,
cmoorewv

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Just keep the area clean. You can dilute some betadine with water until it is tea colored, then flush with that. If you have a bottle you can put it in so you can squeeze it in a hard stream (like an empty, clean dishwashing liquid bottle), it will be easier to flush it out. Blot with clean paper towel to dry and then apply neosporin. I'd clean it daily. * You want it to drain any pus completely, so gently apply pressure further out from the edges, to encourage any pus in there to escape when flushing it..

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I thought about betadine. I will go get some tomorrow if it is still looking angry. I do have some sterile saline, also. I did squeeze from the outer edges of the area, and it was amazing how much material came out.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cujo3-18-12.jpg
Here she is enjoying the outdoors. She's too big to use a doggie wheel chair comfortably, so we hoist her rear end with a girth strap and she uses her front legs. We do have a cart for her but she won't walk far in it. It's not made sturdily enough to support her weight. I feel sorry for her, but she still seems to be enjoying life.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
What a pretty girl! You can google dog wheelchairs and get DIY instructions on how to build them with pvc. Not sure if you'd want to try to make a heavier duty one for her or not.
I ADORE Saint Bernards. We had one when I was a kid. Unfortunately we moved to FL and he couldn't stand the heat so my parents gave him to a friend that lived in Maine on a farm. He lived to be 12 which is old for a SB. He was 210 lbs at one point!! As much as I adore them, I don't think I would get one, because of the situation you are in...I want a dog I can lift. I would be so worried that something would happen to him and I'd need to get him to the vet right away, but wouldn't be able to lift him. I keep my dogs for life, so I know there will be a day, when I need to lift them up. So you have my full admiration for all of the work you are doing to help your girl.

PS- Pus can be the consistency of cottage cheese. Kind of lumpy and semi solid. Here is an example of what pus can look like. This is very graphic and not for people with weak stomachs... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEeMJgV75nQ&feature=related

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That video was indeed graphic! But that was what the stuff coming out of her looked like. Kind of more solid, like that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts