Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 y/o male Havanese ruptured one of his anal glands last night, it bled a lot. No previous problems with anal glands, no symptoms leading up to the rupture either.

Went to vet and got pain killers + antibiotics + antibiotic cream to apply. I asked the vet if I could get a stool softener for him because I think it might hurt him to poop? The vet said it was not needed. The dog hasn't tried yet but I'm panicking. Anyone have any experience with this? Anything I can do to make pooping easier for him?

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
That's really something to discuss with your vet. However, if you are still feeding raw, like you screen name suggests, then feeding less bone can make for softer stools.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's really something to discuss with your vet. However, if you are still feeding raw, like you screen name suggests, then feeding less bone can make for softer stools.
He's been getting canned food for the past 2-ish weeks, the consistency of his stool is normal (same as on raw). I'm just super scared that he'll be in pain when he tries to poop, my vet thought I was being over paranoid and basically told me not to worry so much so I guess he'll be fine. Was just interested to hear someone else's experience since I couldn't find anything on the internet about poop causing pain after anal gland rupture, only before. Which hopefully means that it's not that bad :/

·
Banned
619 Posts
You need to relax.

The dog will sense your anxiety. Follow your vet, let nature work and relax.

Agree with Parus, a loose stool may not be a good idea. Feed normal and look for a "normal" stool. Go easy on the bone/calcium/egg shell additives in the food. Too much of this will cause the dog to try passing a concrete statue.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quick update: He pooped, stool was normal and he didn't starting screaming bloody murder like I had feared. Just a tiny bit of discomfort but otherwise fine. His abscess was not affected either, no bleeding etc.

Thanks for all your replies :) Feeding him his regular food to encourage normal (not soft) poop + not anxiously hovering over him all the time was the way to go.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is good. Maybe take him to the vets when he starts scooting. Before the sacks get too full too.
j
He has an appointment in a week to see if his abscess has drained + healed.

The problem is, he didn't have any of the usual symptoms like scooting, difficulty pooping, bad smell and I never saw an obvious lump during his sanitary trims...

The only thing he did was infrequently lick his lower back / tail base, which I've read can also be a symptom of an impacted anal gland? I'll ask my vet but I think I'll take him in every 6-8 weeks to get it checked, at least until we know what exactly caused it, which is still unclear at the moment. Apparently some dogs, especially the smaller ones just have a predisposition.

Another weird thing: The fluid that came out did not smell at all! Vaguely bloody but no strong fishy, musty smell. Vet was quite surprised.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts