Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. I have an American Pit Bull Terrier that is about 2 years old and just in the last 2-3 days he would sometimes have runny stool. He eats and drinks normally and is UTD on shots and such. I wanted to know if there could possibly be anything wrong or if there is something I can do to get this back to normal. There is no blood or anything like that in it. I am currently unemployed which is why I turn to this forum instead of a vet.

EDIT: After reading another thread here I saw a user whose pet had runny stool after giving them some meat. The only thing I have given my dog other than his regular dry food was a few pieces of pork scraps which was about a week ago. I don't know if this would have anything to do with it or not but I thought I would mention it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I can certainly understand your position financially to want to find a answer on a public message board about what might be wrong with your dog. Unfortunately we are not veterinarians. It would even be difficult for even a vet to diagnose anything over the internet.

That being said... Here are some simple things I can ask you.

Have you changed feeds recently? If you did have you switched him/her over gradually?

A new feed may not agree with him/her.

Could the dog have gotten into anything that might have caused this? garbage etc...

It is not uncommon for dogs to have occasional bouts of loose stool now and then. More than a few days though and I would suspect something is up. It really could be one of a number of reasons for the loose stools. You might try fasting the dog for 24 hours (no food, nothing but water). This will give his digestive system a rest. Then gradually start giving a bland diet of boiled chicken or ground beef with white rice. Start small then gradually increase amounts if the dog is doing fine. If everything is fine for a few days then gradually start mixing in the kibble. You can try adding a teaspoon of canned pumpkin (not pie mix) to bulk up stools as well. Other than that I can only say find someone to borrow money from and have a vet look at the dog.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts