Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with dogs that are capable of running.

I am searching for a suitable breed that can run distances of 2-5km easily.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Is the dog going to be running with you, pulling you, or running separately (thinking of lure coursing, herding, skijoring and other type activities)?

What's the temperature going to be? I'd recommend a shorter coated dog rather than a double coated one if you live somewhere warmer.

There are lots of dogs that can run distances I'd need more info to try to give you a reasonable idea of breeds.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
You need to be more specific. There are MANY breeds that can run 2-5 km daily. There are also many breeds for which 5 km isn't even enough.

What kind of grooming and training do you have in mind?

All I can tell you now is to look for a slightly older dog, at least 1 year old... puppies cannot run that far because it will damage their joints. Avoid brachycephalic dogs as well -- that is, dogs with "flat" noses (pugs, boxers, etc.)

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
At obedience training, I was informed by the trainer that my border collie is bred to run up to 75 miles a day!!! After I peeled my jaw off the floor, I informed her that we wouldn't be running that far. I don't think she actually expected us to do that - just was trying to point out that I need to find outlets for all that energy.

I second what others have already said: what sort of running activity are you planning with your dog?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts