Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Mercy setteled in to the house, her potty training has been rock solid. However, over the past few days, Mercy has pooped in the house 2-3 times. Always in the same place and always because I wasn't paying attention and missed her regular potty time.

I'm assuming that the spot she's been using now smells like a potty place, so she's starting to think that it's OK to go there. Tonight I'm going to seriously clean there area where she's been toileting and was wondering if there are any "around the house" products that can be used to get rid of any residual scent, or do I just need to bite the bullet and go buy something along the lines of Nature's Miracle? If I do need to get a commercial product, what are your favorites?

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I have used a product I found in the automotive section at Walmart ... not real sure of the name .. " Blue Magic " or something like that. ( for car upholstery and carpeting) Was only $3.00 and had a money back guarantee. I ran out a long time ago. Since then I read about using 50% vinegar and 50% water supposed to work very well to rid the urine and feces smell. Much safer IMO than the chemicals in case you have a carpet licker or a dog who tries to taste test everything. :)

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Nature's Miracle would help.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I went out and got the oxyclean that is safe for pets. Does a fantastic job on stains and he hasn't used the bathroom in the house since... Could be because he is 100% positive that the closet is not a designated pooping area even though it smells like it sometimes when his dad(Me) walks out of the adjoining bathroom haha.... (Yep I went there)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Before you buy something you can try two things: vinegar and baking soda. To do general deoderizing, I just sprinkle baking soda all over the rug, wait half an hour and then vacuum. You could also try spraying the spot with a mix of 50/50 white vinegar and water, BUT test a small bit of the rug to make sure it doesn't do something weird to the colour first. I've never had vinegar do anything to colour, but better safe than sorry.

If that doesn't work, then Nature's Miracle.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
The white vinegar-water works for us! We used to use Nature's Miracle and loved it. But, then we decided to stop using commercial cleaners as much as we could. So, we use the vingegar and water for just about everything. And, we've used a black light on spots we've cleaned with the water-vinegar, and there is no sign of the stain!
We use the water and vinegar for everything! You can add a bit of lemon juice to it, or you can even make a paste of it, by adding baking soda, to scour with!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Since Mercy setteled in to the house, her potty training has been rock solid. However, over the past few days, Mercy has pooped in the house 2-3 times. Always in the same place and always because I wasn't paying attention and missed her regular potty time.

I'm assuming that the spot she's been using now smells like a potty place, so she's starting to think that it's OK to go there. Tonight I'm going to seriously clean there area where she's been toileting and was wondering if there are any "around the house" products that can be used to get rid of any residual scent, or do I just need to bite the bullet and go buy something along the lines of Nature's Miracle? If I do need to get a commercial product, what are your favorites?
I take the rug outside, douse it with soapy water or whatever I decide it needs to be soaked with, and blast it clean as brand new with a high pressure washer. I guess I could take them to the local car wash and blast them out there, but some are a bit large for that, and weigh a ton when wet.

Not so easy to do for carpet though. I abhor carpets though, and have 100% tiled house and use rugs, specifically because I can haul them out and blast them at least once a year, more if necessary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts