Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Cat-dog, GSD spayed female and Tornado-dog, JRT mix, neutered male
1,222 Posts
I've done a lot of research about training methods and, except in fear cases, believe it to be the best methodology. In any event, it squares with what I've seen with cats, rabbits, horses and children. Ironically, it was the maltipoo attacks and ineffective response that first spurred me to investigate various schools of thought on dog training and what kind of school we were attending. Because him getting cuddles/cookies for hurting my dog didn't change the behaviour and was fundamentally unjust.
If this is what you think positive training is about - getting cuddles/cookies for bad behavior - then you haven't done enough research.

Positive training is NOT about tewarding bad behavior. It's about rewarding good behavior and redirecting from bad behavior.

I'm sorry that after only 16 weeks, you have decided that using aversive methods is the best way.

I wholeheartedly disagree that "balanced training" is best for dogs, cats, rabbits or children. Or any other sentient being.

Reactions: petpeeve

·
Registered
Cat-dog, GSD spayed female and Tornado-dog, JRT mix, neutered male
1,222 Posts
You're missing so much.

Your examples show that you do not have an understanding of what positive based training is about. Your examples are simply reiterations of "balanced trainers" who argue that positive trainers simply pop treats into the dog or give up. This is as far from the truth as you can get.

As for the puppy class not taking on aggressive issues, etc, that is common with most group classes regardless of the training method. A group class is not the appropriate place to work with a "problem dog". In a group class, the trainer needs to provide guidance to ALL the participants - they cannot ignore all the other paying customers to deal with one dog's issues. And they do not want a dog with serious issues creating tension with the rest of the dogs/owners - that is going to result in failure for all in the class. I would be extremely wary of attending a group course that welcomes dogs with serious issues.

• Wow
Reactions: Sparkles2022
1 - 2 of 2 Posts