Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 yo Shih Tzu has been on Royal Canin PR diet dog food for dermatitis for a couple of years. The kibble is getting harder and harder to get! I contacted Royal Canin on Friday and was informed that "rabbits are difficult to get." Hmmm. I thought rabbits reproduced pretty quickly. Because they "ran out" and I can't seem to find it anywhere in the US or Canada, I have had to resort back to Royal Canin's Shih Tzu kibble. She is scratching something fierce and is back to have raw spots and hot spots.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? She is obviously allergic to something in Royal Canin's food, but I have no idea what. If I were to guess I would guess that is some kind of grain, or perhaps meat. But, honestly I don't have the wrapper for the PR kibble and the Shih Tzu kibble has a list of ingredients a mile long.

Any help?
Peg's Sweet Pea

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Probably corn. Corn always makes my dogs scratch. You could try a cheaper corn-free food to try to rule that out, but if she keeps scratching it may be the chicken or some other ingredient. In that case, one of the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets may be best.

·
Registered
933 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Is it this food? http://www.petfooddirect.com/produc...ted-Protein-Adult-PR-Dry-Dog-Food#ingredients
And this food? http://products.royalcanin.us/products/dog-food/shih-tzu-24.aspx

Here are the ingredients for PR food:
Dried potato, rabbit meal, coconut oil, potato protein, natural flavors, vegetable oil, fish oil, monocalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, DL-methionine, salt, choline chloride, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), biotin, D-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin A acetate, niacin supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], taurine, trace minerals (zinc oxide, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), rosemary extract, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols and citric acid.

Here are the ingredients for the Shih tzu food:
Chicken meal, brown rice, rice, chicken fat, oatmeal, wheat gluten meal, natural chicken flavor, dried beet pulp (sugar removed), rice hulls, anchovy oil (source of EPA/DHA), potassium chloride, soya oil, DL-methionine, calcium carbonate, fructo-oligosaccharides, L-tyrosine, sodium tripolyphosphate, salt, taurine, dried egg product, Vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], choline chloride, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), Trace Minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], glucosamine hydrochloride, tea (green tea extract), chondroitin sulfate, L-carnitine, rosemary extract, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E) and citric acid.

There are huge differences in the primary protein and grains of the two foods. I would print out the ingredient list to the previous food, take it to the store and look for a food that has the primary protein as rabbit and the primary grain as potato. Compare the remaining ingredients (along with where they are on the ingredient list) and find one as close to your previous food as possible. Royal Canin does make a hypoallergenic potato and duck food that you may want to try. The combination of vension/potato and duck/potato do seem easier to find.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do you know its food at all?
Thanks. That's a good question. I know because we went through an elimination diet until we settled on Royal Canin PR prescription diet food. That seemed to help the itching immensely. We have been giving her both the canned food and the kibble (especially for treats). Training is an ongoing issue for Shih Tzu's, especially barking. They ARE watch dogs! So, she gets a lot of kibble, one piece at a time. (She is not overweight. We watch that carefully) I suspect that she is allergic to grasses and things. We can't afford the "patch test" to find out. She is inside, except for 'needed" trips outside and to exercise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I couldn't figure out where to go for those ingredients. I will do just as you say. It must be chicken. And, also wheat gluten, I suspect.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Yeah, chicken and wheat are pretty common allergens. Finding a food with no wheat isn't hard, but finding one with no chicken can be a bit harder. But a Limited Ingredient lamb, duck, or venison diet shouldn't be too hard to find.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts