Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I've posted, we've been out every weekend & every free weeknight trying to re-socialize our 3 couch potato small breed dogs & 1 small breed X pup.

They do this thing now, I'm impressed & it started when we became really active with them outside of the house. Taking trips to the beach, hiking & 'drop' leash training in fields & trails whenever possible.

We buy chew toys in multiples, there are 5 dogs after all. The largest of which is an 85# APBT type, who thinks he's a little dog.

They choose one chew toy and chew it for a length of time.

(beware, runon sentance follows)

The others will lay around all soft & appearing to nap, but the second the one chewing is either distracted, or loses interest in the toy, ONE of them, who appears to be waiting for his opportunity, jumps up and grabs it as soon as it's released.

THEN, it happens again about 5 minutes later. Never the same dog, they appear to be waiting their turn on the SAME chew toy.

I've been wrong before, is this really happening?
Are they really, um...sharing?

The puppy (Calypso) used to like to chew one end of a toy someone else was enjoying. This would cause growling from the intruded upon dog & she would continue to softly try to sneak a lick, nibble etc. It was always slow & half hearted, I suppose in case the request to share became a hard NO.

I would offer a treat to both of them, to whit, this caused the growling dog to leave the chew toy happily & the pup would sometimes play with it, or sometimes abandon it.

Did I inadvertently do that, or are they just meshing?...either way, I'm happy about it but just wondering if I stumbled on to something I should continue.

Happy accidents in the way of training for me are rare and far between, so wondering what's going on in their little doggie heads.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
Dogs always want what the other dog has. I had a nylabone that was literally never touched but once (preliminary investigations) by my dog, for months. Second dog came in and thought the chew was the best thing. Then every time second dog would leave the bone for a second my dog would be all over it.

Dogs are weird :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lolz!

Yes, that happens around here too. It gets expensive to buy 6 of every item, but we do, so as to minimize squabbles.

Imagine my surprise when only ONE of a particular toy gets gnawed upon.

We've had multiples for years & I've never seen them wait their turn at a chew toy.

I want to believe it's in the positive reinforcement & our handling, mainly due to this forum.

Have learned so much, but still perplexed by dog every. single. day.

Indeed....dogs are weird =D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts