Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl is losing fur on her neck again. The first time, she went from "huh, her fur seems thinner on her neck than it used to be... I should keep an eye on that" to "holy crap, my dog's neck is bald!" over the course of two days. So, admittedly, I bought the first rolled-leather collar I could find, rather than spending a lot of time searching for a high quality one.

I also took all of her tags off her collar and moved them to her leash. Once her fur all grew back, I tried putting her ID tag back on the collar, and she started getting a thin spot again. So I moved it to the leash and have left it there.

She's starting to lose fur again. I suspect the cheap rolled-leather collar I got needs replaced with a higher-quality one.

But rolled-leather tends to come in tan, brown, or black, with brass hardware. There's just not a lot of room to be an individual. Plus, I'd love a collar with her name and my contact info integrated into it somehow, and typically the only time that I find that on a rolled-leather collar is if it's an ID collar only and not for attaching a leash.

Tussah only wears her collar when she is outside, which includes both leash time and off-leash time. She doesn't need a pinch, choke, or martingale collar.

My big question is, is it the round profile or the leather texture which makes rolled leather collars kinder on fine fur? For instance, would a cotton or nylon rope collar work the same? Or a flat or padded leather collar?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I think the fact that rolled leather is smooth plays a big part in keeping the fur intact. I'm sure a velour, or smooth textured rope collar would do the same.

Have you ever considered tag holders instead of traditional collars?

They look like this, and are fitted very loosely to prevent any matting.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/199818006/dog-id-tag-holder-dog-tag-holder-leather?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=tag holder&ref=sr_gallery_4

This way you can just put the collar/harness on for walks and it would do less damage.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
If you want to try something non-leather, these collars are excellent and do not break coat (lots of show dog people use them as their everyday collars):
http://www.whitepineoutfitters.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?queries_index=index10&recordno=2&Product_CatalogID=64&ProductNumber=CAA09&ProductCode=1&ProductSubCodeID=113&NewProduct=0&title_bar2=SOFT SLIP<sup>tm</sup> COLLARS&title_bar=9/16" SOFT SLIP<sup>tm</sup> COLLAR

I pair mine with Boomerang Tags that attach flat to the collar instead of dangling.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I have been meaning to get a rolled leather collar for Belle. Only thing is the clasp area is flat on the ones I have seen and the clasp would most likely be by her throat most of the time which is where her floof is getting wrecked by her flat collar. So not sure it would help all that much. Any ideas??

In this photo you can see where I mean. Under her chin about 6" down you can see where her floof seperates and is shorter on the top due to her collar. Color of her collar doesn't matter at all since you cannot see it but I like for her to have a collar on at all times. I have no tags on her collar though, they would probably just get tangled in her fur and she cannot have them on when competing in agility anyway.
IMG_6806a by rzyg, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Toby wears a Spindrift rolled nylon collar. Many years ago we had a rolled leather collar but it stained his ruff, so we went with nylon. We've been very happy with this one.

Here's the collar: http://spindriftdog.com/comfort_collar.html
I like that! I wish they had a green one, not that you would see it on Belle anyway but not crazy about the colors. I may just get one for her though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The issue with the tag-only collars is basically my laziness - Tussah goes naked in the house, and who wants to take the extra six seconds to put on a second collar?
Her hair is not actually that long, so you can see the collar... and her ruff is white, so the brown leather collar does stain it if it gets wet. The fur is extremely fine, soft, and silky.

I really like the spindrift collar, except I don't like snap closures (my brother's dog, who isn't much bigger than Tussah, breaks them consistently, even the heavy duty ones. Tussah has MUCH better leash manners, but I'd rather take the just-in-case. She and I live in a much busier area, so she's more likely to get hurt or killed if she breaks her collar and runs into the street). But that gives me some ideas of what types of collars will work, so it's a starting point.

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts