Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boomers had a bad week! Started it off with chasing a skunk and getting sprayed in the face. It scared him so bad he managed to get past my dad and go running into the house to hide and peed all over the carpet and himself. So the house smelled terrible, I smelled terrible, and he smelled absolutely awful. There was no getting away from the smell! He was sprayed in the mouth and eyes so his eyes swelled shut and were runny and goopy. It was the weekend so the vet wasn't open but we called and were told to flush his eyes out with saline solution. Two days later his eyes were even worse so we made a trip to the vet and got some ointment for his eyes. The next day he could see again and seemed to be feeling better so I took him with me to the barn like usual. We went for a trail ride and the trail goes along a cow pasture. Usually I take the fence down and cut through the pasture on the way back but this time I decided not to. Boomer went under the fence like usual so I called him back to me. Well I didn't realize that a strand of barbwire was down from a recent storm and it had wrapped around his leg. When I called him he came at full speed despite being caught up in it. So back to the vet we went. He was a bloody mess with his leg all tore up. He was terrified at the vets office even worse than usual, I had to have help just getting him through the front door. They had to keep him for the day so they could sedate him to sew him up. So now he's wearing a cone and is like a bull in a china shop running into everything in the house. He also still smells like skunk and has one eye still red and runny. And while he was at the vet they trimmed his nails without asking me and cut every one of them too short. They were all bloody when I picked him up.

Any tips for getting skunk smell out of a Dublin no stink dog collar would be great! Of course I would by a no stink collar and two weeks later my dog would find a way to prove them wrong on the whole no stink thing! I've tried soaking it in dawn and a skunk odor remover that I bought at Petco. It worked pretty good on the dog but no so much on the collar.

After the vet trip he was so exhausted he didn't even realize it was storming. Poor guy wasn't feeling well at all. He only weighed 48 lbs that day at the vet. Not sure if he's just lost a lot of weight this summer or if this week just stressed him out too much but he usually weighs about 55.

But that didn't last long. The next day he was up and ready to go despite a bum leg and a squinty eye. He does not understand why nobody will throw his ball or take him for walks. He's going to drive us all crazy if he doesnt get better soon!

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Poor guy. :( Hope he's feeling much better soon!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Poor little guy! I hope next week is better.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Awww, no. Stuff happens. But i'm ticked about the nails. Not cool!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
aaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!! Big hugs <with clothes pinned nose> from me to Boomers! Poor pup...and poor you. Hope everything heals up and airs out quickly! Hopefully the "set of three" will be done for a while!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone! He's feeling much better this week and the skunk smell is almost completely gone except for his poor collar which I might have to throw out. His eyes seem to be fine now, one was draining a little yesterday again but I think he's ok. And no more cone! However, he is driving me crazy! He is not a dog that can sit inside for a couple weeks with no exercise! He's constantly barking and going after the cat and throwing toys at me. I'm all stocked up on bones and kongs to keep him busy and have been teaching him new tricks but I sure hope he can run again soon! And we have moved back into town to the apartment so we shouldn't have to worry about barb wire or skunks for awhile!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I am so sorry! ... I somehow missed this thread! Poor Boomer! What a horrendous week for him! I am glad to hear he is getting somewhat back to his normal self. The pics were heart wrenching. :(

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
when mine got sprayed i had to throw their collars & their bedding away LOL LOL, the first nite they spent i hate to say it outside because we just couldnt stand the smell (it was summer so it wasnt cold or rainy) i had a crate & they are both crate trained so i just put a fluffy old pillow that i didnt care about anymore in their crates (Bear & Izze were sprayed at the same time!) with a bully stick for each. of course they ar eon HW meds but we dont have many bugs here & snakes dont come up to the porch (guess they dont like the cement or something) I put them on either side of the back door & covered them as i would if they were indoors for a few nites because two dogs that are skunked warrants a smell that you just cant imagine.

for the smell i used a home made concoction of listerine (or the like store brand) the wintergreen alcohol, & baking soda (not in that exact order, you'd have to fiddle with that) but it worked for us, in two days the smell when they were dry was gone, unfortinately they were water lovers so when they got wet they stank for a while, but as long as they werent wet they were fine.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
when mine got sprayed i had to throw their collars & their bedding away LOL LOL, the first nite they spent i hate to say it outside because we just couldnt stand the smell (it was summer so it wasnt cold or rainy) i had a crate & they are both crate trained so i just put a fluffy old pillow that i didnt care about anymore in their crates (Bear & Izze were sprayed at the same time!) with a bully stick for each. of course they ar eon HW meds but we dont have many bugs here & snakes dont come up to the porch (guess they dont like the cement or something) I put them on either side of the back door & covered them as i would if they were indoors for a few nites because two dogs that are skunked warrants a smell that you just cant imagine.

for the smell i used a home made concoction of listerine (or the like store brand) the wintergreen alcohol, & baking soda (not in that exact order, you'd have to fiddle with that) but it worked for us, in two days the smell when they were dry was gone, unfortinately they were water lovers so when they got wet they stank for a while, but as long as they werent wet they were fine.
Yeah he had already gotten in the house right after it happened so the oils were in the carpet and the house smelled terrible so we just put him in the basement after his first bath that night. It was storming that night so he couldn't stay out since he's terrified of storms any way. For his first bath that night I just had to use what I could find in the house so it was Dawn dish soap, Scope mouthwash, and dog shampoo/conditioner. That helped some. Of course the bathing him part was horrible, I was gagging from the smell which got worse when he was wet. Then in the morning I bathed him in dawn and dog shampoo/conditioner. Then I went and bought a skunk odor remover shampoo from the pet store and some dog cologne. Used that and followed with dog shampoo/conditioner and sprayed with the cologne and that pretty much did it. I think I used the skunk remover again the following day and then when he went to the vet for the stitches they bathed him again but to me he didn't smell much by then anyways. For the collar I tried the skunk odor remover stuff which is supposed to be used for anything (clothes, carpet, bedding etc) but it didn't work for that. I also tried soaking it in dawn and baking soda and that didn't work. Now its sitting outside and I keep hoping it just airs out but so far its not looking good for it.

I used to work for a dog groomer and we got a lot of skunked dogs in for baths and our other dog has been sprayed before too and I have never seen a dog that got sprayed this bad before. He took a direct hit right in the face and neck.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I don't know about Dublin collars specifically but when Kenda's collary gets stinky I soak it in a very strong solution of Oxi-Clean. It might bleach the collar but I don't think any stank can survive that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts