Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this acceptable play?

I'm instinctively scared of dogs and it makes me nervous when Dexter plays with his girlfriend this way. Teeth are slightly out, but there's never any growling or anything like this.

Should I let them play like this? Or stop them for the injury risks?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Typically I like to let dogs figure these things out amongst themselves. Looks like they both enjoy it and are properly reading each others signals.

I wouldn't worry about the teeth (as show in the clip). If you stay nearby and watch you'll know when things escalate beyond simple play and intervene.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I think this style of play looks fine. Watch for a give and take, which they are doing. They should be handicapping themselves so that each dog takes turns being the 'stronger' one. Notice how Dexter gets pinned, and then the Husky backs off to let him up? That is a really good play style.

As soon as one of them seems to be getting too overwhelmed, or is not playing anymore, then step in. If one seems to get scared, I would step in as well. But from what you posted, I think it looks like they are a good match for each other.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big thanks. I know the stress mostly come from me, but I just wanted to make sure. They play like that a bit outside every day. Never any barking or growling. I'm indeed always nearby (with a squeaky toy...if they get too into it, it gets their attention).

They do take turn being dominant, even in the house. They do get along perfectly. Shuk has been dogsat at my place about 14 days out of the last 30. And there has been zero issue, even with free reign of the house.

They are still dogs though and I wouldn't want an accident to happen. I greatly appreciate your opinions.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I felt the same way at the dog park this last weekend, Zoopie! Watching Kabota play like a husky with a husky was scary at first. Never having had a dog that played with other dogs, I have little experience in this, but I went with the belief that if the body language was happy, it was play. But I was prepared to run over and stop it the second it got out of hand.

Both Kabota and the husky had a great time and nobody was hurt, so I think it's okay.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I really don't see any aggression. The bigger dog submitted to the Husky, but that's about it. I think you're fine as long as they don't snap at each other or injure one another.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think that is pretty good playing. My two play just like that except they sound like a couple of demons (they are very vocal). They will let the other know if they go too far.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I think this style of play looks fine. Watch for a give and take, which they are doing. They should be handicapping themselves so that each dog takes turns being the 'stronger' one. Notice how Dexter gets pinned, and then the Husky backs off to let him up? That is a really good play style.

As soon as one of them seems to be getting too overwhelmed, or is not playing anymore, then step in. If one seems to get scared, I would step in as well. But from what you posted, I think it looks like they are a good match for each other.
This. Looks like perfect play to me. The northern breeds I've watched play seem to use more teeth and go for the ruff a lot more than other breeds. Our girl does this. When she was younger, she had to learn not to do the bite and twist move with shorter haired breeds (their owners always freaked a little, although it looks rougher than it actually is). If both dogs keep coming back for more, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts

This.

If you still feel like they're getting too excited, you can practice interrupting their play. I spend a good portion of my work day clapping my hands and walking directly between two wrestling dogs. It gets them in the habit of taking short breaks(five seconds is more than enough).

The rule of thumb at my last daycare was that if two dogs are too excited to respond to their names, then they're too excited. But then again, that varies from dog to dog.

That clip did look like good play to me. Dexter handicapped himself and the husky jumped back for a short pause about five seconds in to it.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Looks really good to me. Caeda and her favourite playmate/nemesis play way harder than that. The worst that ever happened is that the other dog was gnawing on Caeda's back leg and I think she nipped that big 'ol tendon, which made Caeda limp for all of 5 minutes. I've seen Caeda dragged along a shiny floor by her scruff, then get up and give it back. No yelping, everybody took turns etc, though of course still young they bear watching.
Those two look like great playmates!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome....it makes them so happy and burns their energy to play like this. Nice to see it's not something of concern.

And they get along so perfectly, it's amazing to watch. I've dogsat Shuk about 20 days out of the last 30 (last day today:() and not a single issue. Dexter is even easier to deal with! They share their toys, share the space, sleep next to each other. It's perfect harmony.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Yeah that looks like very mild rough play to me. My guy wrestles a lot rougher than that with his husky friend and neither has ever been hurt or upset.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts