Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys im rather new here. But im sure id feel at home in no time. :)

Heres my problem. I have two Rough Collie pups - 1 Male and 1 Female who are awesome pups *about 4months* They walk on their leashes pretty much okay.. every now and then they would hesitate slightly, but as soon as I get moving they get going.

But heres the problem, they bark none stop from when we leave the house to when we get back... Im sure its just excitedness, but the neighbours dont really like to be barked awake in the morning...

Anything i could try?

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
More exercise, first of all, and second of all, separate the puppies - each crate on one end of the house so they can't see each other.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont understand how crating them on each side of the house would help their excitedness when out on a leash?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Take them on separate walks (for now) and notice who the instigator is. It's probably one or the other.

Then work on the "Focus" command with a clicker (separately), so when you're out walking, you can use the command "focus" to interrupt the excitement at the FIRST sign that someone is getting excited or in bark mode.

Don't even let the barking get started. As you start on your walk (with one dog), if he/she starts barking, turn around and go back in the house and remove the leash and wait for a few minutes before you start again. This process can take some time, but they should eventually get the idea that if they start barking, the walk gets postponed.

The reason to separate the dogs is so that they each bond more strongly with you than they do with each other. It's a key to raising siblings (which I'm assuming they are). Make sure to spend plenty of training, walking and play time with the dogs individually. That helps the bonding process.

I would train them about the barking separately before I started walking them together again. And more exercise is an excellent suggestion, too.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Walk the pups separately Yes, I know that's a bother, but I'm not the one who told you it was a good idea to try to raise 2 pups at the same time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
brilliant posts I appreciate it guys!

Would this focus work on any type of barking? Lawnmower - Motorcycles (they love the sound of that)

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
"Focus" can work on anything you want. I would start teaching it in the house first, without any distractions. Then you can move up to the driveway, then the street, etc. as they learn it.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
It doesn't so much work on behaviors (like barking) as teaching the dog to focus on you (or being quiet) instead of whatever he's paying attention to, so it should help you in all areas. You can also teach a "quiet" command with clicker training. Link below.

I don't know a lot about Collies, so they might be natural barkers (like Shelties) and then you might have a tougher situation to deal with. Hopefully you could get some help from Collie owners.

Stopping unwanted barking with clicker training

I was going to suggest the book Click for Joy. I have it and it's wonderful for beginning "clickers". :) Learn how to use the clicker and the proper steps to take before you start training so you get it right the first time. It's an odd way of doing things at first because there are no commands. But read about it and then start using it. It's really pretty fun. In the meantime, walk your dogs separately. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts