Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so Me, My sister and mother were talking about dogs the other day. Firstly Rottweilers came up. I said they were cute and all that. Then my mother was like 'No way! They kill people! One of them killed a child in England' So I said well it is the owner NOT the dog. If a dog is vicious it is the owners fault. They need to sort it out. The dog is not born evil.

Then we brought up GSD. I really love these dogs! But again my mother thinks they are pure evil! Our uncle owns one. He is locked up in a cage 24/7. She said he has attempted to attack people. I said that was because he is stuck in a cage the whole time and our uncle never did anything to prevent him from biting. I think he wanted him as a proper guard dog.

I never talked about Pit Bulls. If I did I know what would be coming..they are bred to fight other dogs etc.

Our main advertising site in Ireland is called DoneDeal. This is what is says about advertising Pit Bulls.

The Pit Bull
Dog fighters are the minority among pit bull owners. Some people who own these breeds direct their dogs’ plentiful energy toward nonviolent athletic tasks. Some people train their pit bulls for dog agility. Others involve their pit bulls in weight pulling competitions or obedience competitions. The pit bull often excels at these sports.

Pit bulls have gained a fearsome reputation among the general public due to negative media attention, but those familiar with the breed generally attest to its friendly disposition, especially toward children and small animals, earning it the nickname “the nanny dog”.

Pit Bulls or Related Breeds are not Allowed on DoneDeal.ie
After discussing the problem with dog fights in Ireland with the ISPCA and IKC we have decided not to allow Pit Bulls, Bull Terriers and related breeds to be advertised on DoneDeal.ie.

Staffordshires
Some breeds may be visually similar to the Pit Bull, for example the Staffordshires. As these breed names are sometimes used by unscrupulous dealers to advertise Pit Bulls we have decided not to allow these breeds on DoneDeal at the moment.

So I have obviously never seen these type of breeds advertised.

I really have never seen or come across a pit bull in real life.

But I do know because Rottweilers and GSD are meant to be mean, evil dogs I would be afraid of them if I did meet one. And I know they are not all mean.

How would I get my mother to see they are not evil? I don't want her hating a dog because of what people are saying about them.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
If someone has their mind made up, and especially if they tend to be very closed minded, it can be very, very difficult to get them to see otherwise.

You can show her this...

My Rottweiler is a certified therapy dog and is the reading dog at the children's section of our library.

Rottweilers can be dangerous and I'll be the first one to say that. They are a breed that needs socialization, life long training, and they are not the breed for everyone. I see a lot of people who have no business owning a rottweiler because they fail their dog in how they handle owning one. Breeding for temperament as well as structure and passing health certifications is just as important. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who breed rottweilers with unstable temperaments just so they can make a buck or two. They are not bettering my breed...and poor, unstable temperaments are just as bad a poor hips in my book. Rottweilers aren't meant to be mean...they are a strong working breed who are not for the faint of heart. They can be wonderful dogs if they have the right owner (just like any breed.)

·
Registered
160 Posts
My wife's brother has had two Rottweilers, and both have been as sweet as you could ask for. I've met Rottweilers on the street, in pet stores, etc., and have never met an aggressive one. I've personally owned GSD's, and can't say enough good things about them. They are athletic, strong, beautiful, loyal, and highly affectionate. Pit Bulls are, ironically, among the most patient, mild-tempered dogs I've ever seen. They're very happy dogs, too, which makes them loads of fun. All three breeds are wonderful choices. Don't fear any of them.

My Chihuahua accidentally bit my pinky finger really hard the other day. He's all of 4.5 lbs, and, with some ice on my pinky, I decided he could probably cause severe damage with his bite if he wanted to. Even a moderately sized dog is capable of extreme violence. So am I when solicitors knock on my door at 8:00 a.m. on a Saturday. The point is that any dog has a lot of very sharp teeth, but very few of them posses any desire to use them on you. Those that do don't belong to a certain breed. They belong to a group - dogs that are abused and neglected.

·
Registered
554 Posts
My sister and her fiance are looking into adopting a shelter dog. Our shelter ships dogs away to be euthanized after they've been there a certain amount of time, and I knew a very nice pitbull that was nearing the end of her time span.
I told my sister about her. My sister did some research, and decided that it would indeed be the breed for her. It has the right athleticism, temperament, and this dog in particular was already house and leash trained. Perfect!

But when my sister mentioned the words "pit bull" to her fiance, he said "No." She started to tell him about its temperament - "No." She pointed out how this particular dog was already trained - "No." He wouldn't listen to her *at all*.

People who form incredibly strong opinions without doing any sort of research first just tick me off.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I agree with Mrs.Boat and have to add that my dogs also are registered Therapy dogs and do the "Read to a Dog" program at the local library. They have also gone into nursing homes, children's Center's, hospitals and done numerous public exhibitions. I have had the breed for 34+ years now and during that time I have worked with more then I can mention. None of them killed anyone or threatened anyone in any way. A well trained and socialized Rottweiler is one of the best possible family dogs. In the wrong hands with abuse or care accidents can happen but you cannot blame a breed of dog for a humans mistake.

A couple public event pictures

This kid was a total stranger to Carsten yet she took his leash and began walking him around and he was just fine

I won't say my dogs are not dangerous as you can see, a well placed lick can really do damage.

Here he is in the middle of the mall with hundreds of Christmas shoppers passing by. Many stopped to pet and he LOVED every one of them.

A daycare visit, he didn't know this child that was poking his eyes but he still LOVED him.

As you can see, they are NOT all mean. You will get out of a dog what you put in. If you are cruel or give them no attention or positive guidance then you will not reap the benefits of a social dog. If you do... the rewards are numerous.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Well socialized Rotties, Pits, and Labs are extremely people friendly. Rott and Pits won't back down, but they don't usually start trouble. But the only way to begin to change ppl's minds is to expose them to well-socialized dogs - therapy dogs, family pets with small children, etc.

However, if you have the urgent need, rather than call a dog a Pit Bull, call it a Boxer mix or Staffordshire mix. Most people won't know the difference, especially if you say that the Vet told you....

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Inga>>> I might be looking for a rott in the future (not the near future, after Izze goes to the bridge :( ) would you help me :D :D I know you know your rottie stuff.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Those pics are precious Inga.

OP- if you are still stopping in to read-
You are shocked by your mother's ignorance (singling out certain breeds as vicious) and yet you stated in another thread that you believe all JRT's are mean?

It's a rude awakening sometimes to find that we are a chip off the ol' block after all.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Rotties are the ultimate kids' dogs when properly trained and socialized. Watching the two I had interact with little people was pure magic. I sometimes joke that the book Good Dog, Carl should be stocked in the "non-fiction" section of bookstores.

On the other hand, they are not to be trifled with. They can be very fierce. The two traits are not mutually exclusive.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Inga>>> I might be looking for a rott in the future (not the near future, after Izze goes to the bridge :( ) would you help me :D :D I know you know your rottie stuff.
Absolutely! I would help anyone in anyway that I can.

Here are a few more older shots of the dogs for Labsmom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts