Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister and her 3 boys went Christmas shopping at Petco the other day and the 9 year old noticed a Rottweiler in a cage. Even though he was warned a thousand times not to approach dog he didn't know, the dog looked far too familiar to him so he ran up and stuck his hands into the cage for some petting. My sister was right behind him and grabbed him and was having a firm chat with him about not all dogs are friendly and a caged dog can be scared and bite just out of fear. A lady who works at the store and knows the owner of the dog comes over and says "It's fine, he is used to people sticking their hands in the cage" My sister was upset as she said the cage was so small the obese dog could not really even lay down. My sister said all told it was about 10 minutes before anyone noticed them by the cage.

This particular person doesn't make the best decisions about dogs and had been bringing various fosters to try to get people to give money. They see the sad dog in the cage, read a sob story and feel compelled to give money. Sadly, the stories though partly true, are old as mold and the dogs stuffed in the cages are permanent fosters or adopted by someone else.

I like the idea of trying to help animal welfare organizations but... this is not a good way in my opinion. Having a dog unattended, in a cage in an area where all different kinds of people come in and stuff their hands in or have their own dogs sniffing the cage. (one dog peed on the caged dog) I have no issue with rescues bringing dog into a situation like that where there is a handler right there with the dog, protecting it against foolish people and their dogs. Stuffing one into a cramped cage, too small for it to be comfortable day after day and not watching it, is just too much.

Can you say "accident waiting to happen?" A few weeks ago there was a 5 pound dog in a cage balancing on a display. The dog was shaking like a leaf and like in the case of the Rottweiler, there was nobody around advocating for the dog. :(

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised PetCo allows that. The PetCo here does have adoption cages but no dogs allowed--only cats and small critters. And they're in plexi-front cages (or aquariums for the really small ones) so no pokey fingers. The dogs are allowed on adoption Saturdays, but only with their adoption group representative right there. Someone should have a chat with the manager, I think.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
So sad. IMO totally uncalled for...not to mention cruel. :(

I personally never came across something like this. The only pet store I visit has a rescue group who comes on Saturdays to try and find eligible adoptive people for their dogs. They always have them on a lead and never leave the dog unattended. I love when once a year they have retired Greyhound adoptions there. :)

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
I'd call PetCo corporate. I'd also try to find out if the "rescue" is considered a legit 501 C 3 charity because PetCo might care more if there are financial implications to the hustling going on.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, I'm surprised PetCo allows that. The PetCo here does have adoption cages but no dogs allowed--only cats and small critters. And they're in plexi-front cages (or aquariums for the really small ones) so no pokey fingers. The dogs are allowed on adoption Saturdays, but only with their adoption group representative right there. Someone should have a chat with the manager, I think.
It is one of the managers that is doing this. It makes me mad because not only can a person get hurt, the dog can get hurt and is at the very least being traumatized during it's stay. It shows a total disregard for the dog, in my opinion. Then again, they have the same disregard for the fish in that store too. I have seen candy wrappers in the fish tanks, dead fish etc... There are so many things wrong with that situations there. I think that if someone gets hurt, it will ruin in for everyone in the rescue business that does take their dogs to that store.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts