Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of purchasing another rottweiler and would like to know the difference bewteen a Y.U. breed, German breed or American breed rott? Is there one bloodline that is best, and should I be picking once breed over the other??

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
The AKC and ADRK (German standard) are almost identical. What you should be looking for it a breeder that titles their dogs preferably both in conformation as well as working titles. You should also NOT settle for a pup from parents that do not have at least OFA good/excellent Hips, elbows, thyroid tests, cardiac tests and eyes. Ask yourself what you want to do with your Rottweiler. Family pet, obedience competitor, Schutzhund? The health clearances should be a minimum requirement regardless of what you want to do. If you want a dog to compete in Schutzhund you should look for a kennel/breeder that competes successfully in that sport. A family pet should still come from dogs with health clearances and preferably parents that have conformation titles as well as a CGC or TDI.

Do yourself a favor and run from any breeder that boasts oversize Rottweiler's or Massive. The larger the dog the more common the health problems. Stay within the standard for size. I can't help but adding that there are many many wonderful Rottweiler's in rescues all over now. Might be an option for you as well. :) Good Luck! Hopefully you will be back to post pictures of your pup once you do get him/her. Nothing cuter then a Rottweiler puppy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts