Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Rottweiler mix with lab

697 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Knute 
#1 ·
I have a rottweiler mix with lab and I am just learn how dangerous these dogs are. I had my puppy since 5 weeks old. I am learning if I start taking him outside every 2 hours putting him on a pattern he get use to it. I sit at night keep calling his name Trey he is finally respond to it when I give him a treat. But I learning from some of the stories try to gain a good relationship with my puppy.

#2 ·
Dangerous? The only thing really inherently dangerous about that cross is that they will be big dogs, and will need to learn manners to prevent them from accidentally hurting someone by jumping or bumping into them.

You might have a bit of trouble with some things, like bite inhibition, because he left his littermates and dam so early, and missed out on some valuable social lessons.

For house training, he needs to go out much more frequently that every two hours. The general rules are: out after waking up from a nap, out after eating a meal (which at only five weeks, should be at least four times a day), out after taking a drink, out after he's been playing for a bit, out any time he looks like his starting to think about pottying (sniffing, circling, etc.), and out every twenty minutes of so just because. Also, out any time he wakes up during the night. If you aren't going to be right on top of him, watching like a hawk, then he should be crated or otherwise confined.

This is an excellent online puppy class that covers a lot of territory on basic skills and exposure to the world. It starts on February 1st, and enrollment is open now. Fenzi Dog Sports Academy - FE115: Baby Genius

#3 ·
All good suggestions for potty training.

Another very important task is to begin the socialization training. This is simply exposure to many different people, animals and situations for him to learn correct response and behavior. Be the dog's advocate. Basically, watch for and block any interactions where the dog is showing any signs of discomfort. Don't let every Tom, Dick or Sally pick up or pet the dog. Same goes for dogs wanting to meet your dog. YOU need to control and manage the interactions.

A dog of this adult size can be very hard to control when not socialized or trained for acceptable behavior.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.