Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says i just walked in the room and saw 5-6 blood splatters on the floor.

So obviously i first checked her nose and then her genitalia.

Turns out her nose is fine and her genitalia are the source. (she just got a bath this morning and she already smells o_O )

She Just turned 6 months old 3 days ago.

Is it normal to expect her heat this soon?(I would call my doctor but its suturday and he wont answer untill tomorrow morning)

On a search on the net i found out that its normal from 8-12 months old so please answer me cause im worried :help:

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
6 months is a bit early for a large dog (I've heard of cats and small dogs going into heat as young as 4 months), but every dog is different and it is definitely possible. Is she swollen around the genital area? It could be something other than estrus so keep an eye on the situation, but estrus is the most likely explanation.

You have to keep her away from males for about a month from now. Don't leave her outside alone for even a second (even in a fenced area) or allow any unneutered male dogs near her, even one you think is too small or too young or too old. She'll be most fertile in about a week, and may try to escape, so be careful with doors. The bleeding should be done in a week or so, but until then you can put a pair of boys' undies on her (with her tail through the fly hole) with a maxi pad stuck in the right area to minimize the mess.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a bit swollen yes, but it doesnt bleed any more.

Just those 5-6 splatters 2 hours ago.

And she smells really wierd, i have grown immune to the smell of her piss and the No2 but this is some heavy stuff!

I have her in my room with all windows and doors closed 24/7 and im on the 3rd floor.

My other dog ( male 2 years old ) is on the balcony without any way of getting near her. :p im sure he will try !

·
Registered
427 Posts
Miss Mandy had her first heat cycle when she was 6 months old ... and her second when she was 9 months old ... after that she was okay and had one cycle every 6 months ...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts