Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read in a couple of other threads that some of you rotate from one "flavour" of kibble to another one bag to the next (I assume sticking within the same brand).
When you do this do you just switch one to the next, or do you do a long slow transition?
I'm just wondering because Caeda is currently on Natural Balance Limited Ingredients Fish and Sweet Potato, I'm considering trying her on the Bison.....but I'm SUPER low on the Fish blend and don't know whether I need to buy more of that simply for the sake of the transition.
Input anybody?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
What you can do is pick up some pumpkin and yogurt and add that to the mix to help ease things over. Feed her less than she'd usually get for example, so if she's on 2 cups a day of the old food, and you only have 2 cups left, feed 3/4 of the old stuff and half a cup of the new, then 1/2 cup old 3/4 cup new, and so on. So she'd get 1 1/2 cups of food per day for a few days, with pumpkin and yogurt, then increase the new. Depends totally on the dog, I know people who just change cold turkey no problem, and others who have to go for 2-3 weeks of slowly changing it.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah, pumpkin and yogurt. I always forget about those.
I "think" she would do not too bad on a cold turkey transition....probably a day of gas and some loose stool, but I'm not sure I want to risk an all out digestive mess if I'm wrong :p. I would like to have as quick a transition as I can though, just so we're not spending 3 weeks out of every 4 doing food transitions (a bag seems to last about a month).
I'm also contemplating trying some raw food that the feed store carries, but I'd rather try to weed out the potential sensitivity she has before I do that.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have three very different dogs. when I fed kibble, they got all kinds of different foods (both brands and animal proteins). I am not sure if they had naturally iron guts or I made them iron gutted. I would switch each bag. So, one bag would be Holistic selects. When that ran out, they got Innova, and so on.

Maybe I am lucky but I NEVER had a problem doing this.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Totally dependent on the dog. I switch brands and flavors willy-nilly with no problems, and I've never found a kibble that doesn't agree with Kit. But I know plenty of people who agonize over switching (even bag-to-bag of the same brand and flavor!) because of extreme sensitivities.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
When I feed kibble, I like to switch brands as well. With food recalls, I like to have a handful or two of food they can eat without problem, just in case. Also, sometimes the store might be out of one and I know i can use something else

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Only one of dogs has a problem of switching a food. Gas and middle of the night potty calls is the main problem.. My other dogs iron guts. I get food free at work at times and I just mix it all together in the main dog food bin. The dogs eat it and they do not exhibit any problems

·
Registered
717 Posts
I switch freely between Solid GOLD Wee Bit, Wolf King and WOlf Cub-- its all bison, but differs in percentage of protein, since I also supplement with cottage cheese, rice and raw meat it kinda all goes into the mix.... None of my 3-- a 12 yr old Boxer, a 2.5 yr old Giant Schnuanzer, a 5 month old Bernese Mt dog.... seem to mind....(also my theory on those raw meat diets is, they are so expensive! Just feed raw meat butcher scraps, raw bones, a little cottage cheese and a good dry food to cover the nutritional gaps!)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Poor Leeo and his pancreatitis I was unaware of could have been the reason for the runs from transitioning foods. Although the others would do the same if I did it too quickly.Mostly if I go slowly the dogs are fine.

I usually keep TOTW Pacific Stream, 4Health Chicken and Rice, and a few cans of more expensive food, never the same brand, for a topper occasionally. I purchased Canidae ALS just for Lucy this last weekend due to some recent recalls ... didn't do my homework .... never the less Lucy hates it. So far Lucy will not eat anything but Alpo and science diet! :/

Buying in very small quantities for rotation until you know if your dog likes it is a smart thing to do IMO. :)

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I want to make sure she likes it, so small quantities is a good idea, and its the way we are going for now. We're just considering rotating regularly between two or three foods (same brand though) as a matter of course, so we don't want to spend a week or more transitioning each time.
We just got some of the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Bison and gave her a 50/50 mix yesterday, going to try completely bison today and see how it goes, she didn't seem to have any significant belly upset last night. She had gas once, not too smelly, if that's it I'm happy, her first BM this morning will be more telling though.
Going a little nuts though, her scratching has seemed to increase about a month after starting the last food....I'm thinking environmental and this food switching might be unnecessary :p Ugh....well, at least she seems to enjoy the new food!

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Buying in very small quantities for rotation until you know if your dog likes it is a smart thing to do IMO. :)
That would depend on the size of the dog. It takes 4-6 weeks to know if a food even works for a dog; mine are only 32-34lbs each, a small bag, heck even the mid size, isn't enough to transition them and have enough for them to be on it for a month. I need the bigger ones

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
That would depend on the size of the dog. It takes 4-6 weeks to know if a food even works for a dog; mine are only 32-34lbs each, a small bag, heck even the mid size, isn't enough to transition them and have enough for them to be on it for a month. I need the bigger ones
This is true ... my brain must not be engaged today! Lol! :) I just like to see if mine will actually eat it at all ... they are finicky. :/

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
This is true ... my brain must not be engaged today! Lol! :) I just like to see if mine will actually eat it at all ... they are finicky. :/
knock on wood, all my dogs and I don't recall any dog who wouldn't eat a food except for my Hoover vacuum sheltie in my Avatar...when he was alive, I tried a trial size of one of the frozen raws. He looked at that medallion and no way in heck was he eating that LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts