Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using my dog's regular kibble (TOTW lamb formula) as 75-80% of her "treats" while we're practicing loose leash walking; the other 20-25% is regular treats (usually Zuke's minis or bits of hot dogs). I've also been reading about the benefits of rotating foods. I've had what's either a brilliant idea :) or really stupid one.

I was wondering about using a different kibble (perhaps Orijen, Acana, or one of the other highly rated foods) as her evening walking treat instead of the TOTW she normally gets. It would offer some variety, but not be as pricy as using them as her regular kibble and probably more nutritious than the actual treats.

I know that eventually she'll get learn loose leash walking and won't need as many treats, but at that point we can work on something else, still using the premium kibble as most of the reinforcement.

So, brilliant or stupid? And, as always, thanks so much for the advice.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Sounds like a good idea to me. Just don't overdo the total amount of food is all, Orijen is a supercharged high calorie food.

My dogs got about half their food during training. Sometimes things weren't going smoothly and training sessions would be short and the bowls had more food and sometimes we went through nearly all the food before running out of steam. It was all good in the end.

I could walk two dogs loose leash for 3 miles on two sticks of string cheese though. My fingers would get sore from getting chewed on but it was fun for all of us anyway.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Right now I'm not super concerned about the amount of food she's eating - she's 9 months and has a little more growing to do. Once she stops growing I'll moderate her food. Of course, she's had some gastrointestinal upset this week, so she's getting rice and burger.

In her puppy class on Sunday, we discovered that she loves cheese, but it doesn't seem to love her :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts