Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Soro on Wellness Super5Chicken for a good 2-3 years of his life now. We sometimes threw in bag of Costco's lamb and rice brand if Wellness was unavailable.

I did a bit of searching around this thread and I'm reading that switching protein sources may help prevent allergies?

Soro's NOT a picky eater so he would eat anything I put in his bowl. But whereas at home I struggled to find a high quality dog food provider, now that we've moved there is an ENTIRE STORE nearby with 'non grocery brand dog foods' I have access to.

In my mind Wellness (and this Chicken forumla specifically) is already a good food that he does well on. But now that I have the ability to switch it up a bit if I should choose to, do you think it would be a good idea to start introducing some variety or should I 'not fix it if it ain't broke'?

The other great thing that this store does is it gives out free sample bags, so if anything I could test them on Soro first. Though feeding one meal's worth is not the same as seeing the effects over the course of a week, or even over months.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I like rotating foods because I figure anything missing in one food would likely be present in another and I have an unscientific belief that it helps prevent allergies. Plus Sydney gets excited about her food again whenever we switch it up so I feel good about it. I rotate through all 4 TOTW formulas (containing chicken, buffalo, venison, fish, duck and lamb) and am thinking about finding two more foods to add to the rotation that are turkey and rabbit based, just to throw in some more variety.

I don't think it's incredibly important if you don't feel like rotating, but it also can't hurt. :)

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I wish I had rotated foods when Boone was a puppy. I wonder if it would have prevented his food sensitivities/allergies. Now, with Ginger, we rotate between dry, I add canned, we use The Honest Kitchen and we'll add some raw for her as well

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am about to begin a rotation diet with my dogs (the same as mentioned above: the 4 TOTW formulas). Lately I have switched up my dogs' foods a few times just trying to find what works for them and, while I can't speak to long term effects, I can say that our previously scrawny dog who used to refuse to eat anything if his dad wasn't home has a new-found interest in eating and is much more playful and energetic as a result. And my non-picky pig of a dog who would eat sand if that was what I put in his dish has slowed down slightly on trying to find "bad" and/or non-food items to eat in between meals. I still have to barricade the trash and "puppy-proof" the entire house before I leave him alone, but he's at least less obsessed and has quite dining of fluff out of the couch cushions since I started switching his diet around every so often.

On the topic of rotation diets, by the way: How often do people that rotate like to switch it up? I was thinking I'd do two bags each formula, beginning the transition about halfway through bag #2 (The Pig does not require much transition but the other dog's a bit sensitive to rapid changes). Does this sound alright?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I am about to begin a rotation diet with my dogs (the same as mentioned above: the 4 TOTW formulas). Lately I have switched up my dogs' foods a few times just trying to find what works for them and, while I can't speak to long term effects, I can say that our previously scrawny dog who used to refuse to eat anything if his dad wasn't home has a new-found interest in eating and is much more playful and energetic as a result. And my non-picky pig of a dog who would eat sand if that was what I put in his dish has slowed down slightly on trying to find "bad" and/or non-food items to eat in between meals. I still have to barricade the trash and "puppy-proof" the entire house before I leave him alone, but he's at least less obsessed and has quite dining of fluff out of the couch cushions since I started switching his diet around every so often.

On the topic of rotation diets, by the way: How often do people that rotate like to switch it up? I was thinking I'd do two bags each formula, beginning the transition about halfway through bag #2 (The Pig does not require much transition but the other dog's a bit sensitive to rapid changes). Does this sound alright?
Yeah, that rotation would be fine. I switch formulas with every 15 pound bag because it takes a few months to get through it with just one small dog. I transition for a few days but don't really NEED to because she isn't that sensitive. If you switch cold turkey she'll just have soft stools for like a day or two then goes back to normal. I don't think the frequency of the transition is that critical, since what makes allergies develop is more like if a dog ate exclusively one food for years and years.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I wish I could make a bag last a few months! Ah, I love my big boys but the monetary requirements of a 30lb bag every 3 1/2 to 4 weeks is really something!
Ha, yes, us small dog owners are very spoiled. :p

·
Registered
262 Posts
I wish I could make a bag last a few months! Ah, I love my big boys but the monetary requirements of a 30lb bag every 3 1/2 to 4 weeks is really something!
Me too...I almost cry every time I go to get Luke's food, twice a month and ninety bucks a pop. It's a darn good thing I love him the way I do! he eats WAY better than I do. Oh well, he helped with my weight loss lol

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice!
So if I were to get a few sample packets of other brands I might want to try switching Soro onto... If he's allergic to one ingredient in it will it show with such a small sample, or will I have to feed him a while on it and see?
I would like to avoid buying a large bag of food only to find he can't eat it :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Me too...I almost cry every time I go to get Luke's food, twice a month and ninety bucks a pop. It's a darn good thing I love him the way I do! he eats WAY better than I do. Oh well, he helped with my weight loss lol
Haha, me too! I got a puppy for unrelated reasons, but he's super high energy so taking him for a run, hike or snowshoe/crosscountry skiing expedition (in winter) has helped me lose all the weight I gained in recent years without even thinking about it. And of course spending more money on his food than mine!

·
Registered
262 Posts
lol yup. I tried for years to get the weight I'd gained with my son off, then wammo...Luke comes around and it just fell off me. Next thing I knew I was losing weight so fast my family thought I was sick. When I do get to eat something good, like tonight I made a roast beef...he gets some of that too. Cripes. :p

·
Registered
731 Posts
It can't hurt and also I imagine life eating the same thing my whole life and that sounds like reason to kill myself. LOL. They get excited when they see a new bag and it's always different. THe first week they are nuts about getting something new so it tells me they notice and are excited after a month of one kibble type. I feed Taste of the Wild.

In the PM I feed The Honest Kitchen and even though I use ones with protein in it, I mix random safe items from the fridge to mix it up. It's also a great way to make sure we don't waste veggies! I use Evanger's 100% meat cans sometimes to change the flavor or if I make broth I save some for their meals.

I'm trying to avoid grains and poultry now as Gweeb has a angry red nose fold so I'm gonna eliminate simple allergens and see what happens. A lot of brachy owners with fold issues tell me it usually helps. They were fed Pedigree before they came to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts