Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always changed kibble brands after every bag, every 2 months or so.. But i keep coming back to one particular brand that my dog does really well on, and i want to stay with. It's grain free and the first 3 ingredients are turkey meal, pork meal, salmon meal.

What i do rotate almost on a daily basis is fresh meat. Nugget gets beef/chicken/lamb/fish/pork/organs and other more exotic meats when i can source them. He also gets a rmb every 2 days.

Is it advisable to also rotate kibble as well as fresh foods, or is changing meats enough to be classed as a rotation diet?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
If you're going to stick with the same brand, I don't see much point in changing the "flavor"/protein, unless the nutritional values vary from flavor to flavor. Even if fat/protein levels are different, you'll still be getting the same vitamin/mineral mix that that company uses for its food, and that's the main reason you would rotate brands.

How much meat do you feed him relative to his kibble? If it's significant, I'd say rotating through fresh meats is probably a decent amount of variety.

Also, just as a side note, it isn't critical to rotate dog food brands. A lot of people (including myself) do so, but I think it's much more beneficial to feed fresh meats than to rotate brands of kibble. Even if you don't do that, your dog will probably be just fine on one brand. Is it ideal? No. But it isn't super critical.

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
If your dog does really well on one particular brand, stick with that brand. Sure, you can rotate proteins, but it really isn't necessary, especially if he's getting a variety of raw meats. I think most people probably rotate "flavors" more for their own fun rather than the dog's. I do, lol. I'm pretty sure my dog doesn't really care. I just like trying different things, although I do stick to pretty much the same kibble. The only thing I rotate is treats and the wet dog food I stuff in his Kongs.

Bottom line, as long as your dog is doing well on that food and is meeting nutritional requirements, I don't think it matters too much if he's on the same food for the rest of his life or switches regularly.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

He gets more fresh stuff than kibble. He gets 1/2 cup dry food per day, and the rest is homemade/raw. I don't measure/weigh the fresh stuff, maybe i should, i go by eye and his condition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts