Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Rolling in other dogs fecal matter...

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Roloni 
#1 ·
Could someone please help. I have a male rottweiler. When i take him to the park and let him off leash, I'll sometimes catch him rolling in other dogs fecal matter. Why does he do that? More importantly, how can I get him to stop? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 ·
Dogs love to roll on smelly stuff. I would keep an eye on him and teach him to "Leave it" when he shows interest. When I walk Susie out in the fields I have to keep an eye on her as she loves to roll in the fresh cow patties. As soon as I see her showing interest in something on the ground I tell her to leave it. It is not fun trying to wash fresh cow poop off a long coated dog!

#3 ·
thats a very interesting behaviour! i've not have this problem before but when i've trained my golden retriever to stop eating poop, now he doesnt do it anymore. Whenever we approach a pile of feces, i would say in a stern voice, "NO" and continue walking without giving him a chance to stop and sniff. After some time he doesnt even show interest in sniffing at it anymore :) i hope this helps. Consistency is key!

#5 ·
You can try some It's Your Choice type training, where in the presence of poop you reward him for turning away from it and coming to you instead. So eventually every time he sees a tempting pile he will come to you.
Also, what I've heard from another owner is to train your dog to sit at a pile every time it finds one. Same concept as above, reward for sitting in presence of poop. Said owner turned her poop-eating dog into her poop-finding dog when she misses a pile from one of her other dogs :D I'll bet everyone at the dog park would love you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.