Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallie knows sit,stay,down,crawl,touch,up,leave it,back up,8,and 'go around' and does all of her tricks great but for some reason she won't do roll over. I tried getting her at least on her side. She sways to the side a little= click treat and trying to eventually make that a complete roll over but she's just not getting it. Actually I thinks it's that she doens't feel comfortable with her underside exposed or something. She plays on her back all the time though so I'm not sure. We've been working on it for literally about 3 months. I decided to give her a break on it and within the 2 week period she learned a whole new trick :confused:. Any suggestions? I've been trying to lure her into it with a treat she goes crazy over then when her side touches the ground (partial roll over) I click then treat and give a ton of praise but it's just not working!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Don't be afraid to use physical manipulation. Hands on is often a quicker, more direct way to teach something especially when luring falls short.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't be afraid to use physical manipulation. Hands on is often a quicker, more direct way to teach something especially when luring falls short.
I kind of wanted to avoid physical manipulation as I've been told don't use it unless it's needed. I'll give it a try though! Everything she knows now is from shaping or luring.

Ditto.
OT: What is 8?
lol I didn't know what to call it and it is a figure eight. Here's a video.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts