Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a good robot vacuum cleaner for pet hair? Or, alternately, a regular vacuum cleaner (bagless).

We have a shepherd mix who sheds a lot, and are considering adding a second dog within the next year. My boyfriend also works in construction and tracks in quite a bit of dirt/small rocks. We live in a smaller 2 bedroom apartment (1 level) with laminate and tile flooring throughout, so good performance on carpet isn't important. We need something asthma/allergy friendly and relatively easy to use.

Hoping for something under $300, but willing to go up to $500 if it has a mopping setting and a decent warranty. Must be available in Canada, or able to ship to Canada.

Any ideas? Any brands we should stay away from?

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I have a shark pro Liftaway. It can lift off the rotator brush attachment for carpets, and it has a hardwood attachment that I have found wonderful for my hard floors. Picks up hair, dust, and everything, even small rocks. Suction is awesome. It comes apart easily for maintenance and cleaning purposes, such as cleaning the filters and emptying the bin. It also has a neat stair/upholstery attachment that has a rotating brush which is great for getting hair off of furniture.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I also have a Shark Pro Liftaway. My old vacuum died a few months ago so I ordered this one to replace it. I've very happy with it. The suction is great, it's easy to maneuver, and it has no bags to deal with. I bought it from the Walmart website (I couldn't find it in the store). https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/shark%C2%AE,rotator%E2%84%A2,professional,lift-away%C2%AE,vacuum,cleaner/6000189267408

Personally I wouldn't recommend a robot vacuum as your main vacuum. I have a Roomba (for pets) that I got about 3 years ago and I'm not that impressed with it. For your Shepherd mix, likely the dust cup will be constantly full (they don't hold very much). Of course I haven't tried any other brands and it also depends how big your place is and what the layout is like. I was so excited to get my Roomba, but it never finds its way back to the dock, it almost always gets stuck on something or locks itself in a room, and the dust cup is full by the time it's finished. I basically have to go through our place and "Roomba Proof" it. I have to close doors, prop doors open, move rugs, and pick up anything it might get caught on before I use the Roomba. I used to have it on an automatic schedule, but it usually only does one room before there's some issue, so now I hardly use it at all anymore. If I would get home and the Roomba is on its dock, I assume it didn't go at all since I always have to go find it.

For a two-bedroom apartment with no rugs, it might work fine, but I'm not sure you'll be able to find one for under $500

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I also have a Shark Pro Liftaway. My old vacuum died a few months ago so I ordered this one to replace it. I've very happy with it. The suction is great, it's easy to maneuver, and it has no bags to deal with. I bought it from the Walmart website (I couldn't find it in the store). https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/shark%C2%AE,rotator%E2%84%A2,professional,lift-away%C2%AE,vacuum,cleaner/6000189267408

Personally I wouldn't recommend a robot vacuum as your main vacuum. I have a Roomba (for pets) that I got about 3 years ago and I'm not that impressed with it. For your Shepherd mix, likely the dust cup will be constantly full (they don't hold very much). Of course I haven't tried any other brands and it also depends how big your place is and what the layout is like. I was so excited to get my Roomba, but it never finds its way back to the dock, it almost always gets stuck on something or locks itself in a room, and the dust cup is full by the time it's finished. I basically have to go through our place and "Roomba Proof" it. I have to close doors, prop doors open, move rugs, and pick up anything it might get caught on before I use the Roomba. I used to have it on an automatic schedule, but it usually only does one room before there's some issue, so now I hardly use it at all anymore. If I would get home and the Roomba is on its dock, I assume it didn't go at all since I always have to go find it.

For a two-bedroom apartment with no rugs, it might work fine, but I'm not sure you'll be able to find one for under $500
I know, I love my shark!

My in-laws have a Roomba. The have a lab, some sort of big shepherd mix, and a plethora of foster dogs at any given time. They have tile floors, mostly, with some rugs, and it gets stuck under furniture or against the fridge sometimes. The dust bin often gets full before it finishes. You almost have to set it to run twice a day, at night and after you leave, for it to be effective.

And you can find them at Costco sometimes for around $500-$600 I think, but I'm not sure at the moment.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! I can get the Roomba 620, 650 and 690 for under $500 (before taxes).

We're too busy to vacuum everyday (plus, I absolutely hate vacuuming), but my boyfriend has pretty bad allergies so the robot vacuum seemed like a decent solution. We could set it to vacuum the apt. every day while we're out and then do a deeper clean with our little cheap vacuum as needed. However, if it's just going to get stuck or full before getting the whole place done then it's not going to work either.

How heavy/big is the Shark Liftaway? It looks very interesting, I'll have to see if any stores around here carry it.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Thanks everyone! I can get the Roomba 620, 650 and 690 for under $500 (before taxes).

We're too busy to vacuum everyday (plus, I absolutely hate vacuuming), but my boyfriend has pretty bad allergies so the robot vacuum seemed like a decent solution. We could set it to vacuum the apt. every day while we're out and then do a deeper clean with our little cheap vacuum as needed. However, if it's just going to get stuck or full before getting the whole place done then it's not going to work either.

How heavy/big is the Shark Liftaway? It looks very interesting, I'll have to see if any stores around here carry it.
I have a Shark liftaway and I don't find it heavy or cumbersome at all. Very easy for me to move around as a female of smaller stature, even on stairs.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts

I don't see the Roomba being that great for allergies, either....not enough power to pick up those itty bitty allergens. I think you can get filters for the shark that helps with allergies (not positive, I could be thinking of something else) because the filter is easily replaceable. I take it out and wash it every few months in the sink with soap and water, easy peasy. I think you are really supposed to completely replace them every once in a while, but, I'm lazy, lol.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a Roomba. It’s does ok if used everyday with an occasional,boost from a standard vac.

There is a Roomba specifically for pet hair. It’s more of a high end one I think.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I actually just got a Roomba for Christmas. It's the e6, so one of the "economy" models, I guess. Nothing too special about it. It does really help pick up dirt and hair and keep it looking tidy. I'm not finding hairballs and dust bunnies floating around anymore. It does a great job on my hard floors. I still need to use the big vacuum on the carpets, though. It simply doesn't have as much suction as a standard vacuum, so it needs help keeping smaller, ground in particles off the carpets.

I have one long haired dog. After the first few days, the bin is no longer completely full after a 40 minute cleaning job, but it's still pretty full. More than one dog and a I feel like it will never get the entire place on a charge. You would have to schedule it to go once, then return to charge, then schedule again. Some of the higher model ones will actually clean, return to home base to charge, and then go out and finish the job because they can map your house and know where they have been. the newest one empties itself, too, which I think you NEED if you have more than one dog, otherwise you would have to be home to empty the bin so it can finish cleaning.

So, I think they're certainly helpful to keep your house LOOKING nice. A true, deep clean, never have to vacuum again? No. Not for a house with carpets, at least. You could probably get away with it if you have all wood or tile floors. I haven't actually swept/vacuumed my hard floors since Christmas, lol, except where I know the Roomba can't go. Just mopped.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I’m sure if you have done any research at all, the Roomba can make a mess out of dog poop that not even a horror story write could imagine. However it only takes a minute to look around befor you you turn Roomba loose. I suppose a dog could have an issue with Roomba and leave a pile somewhere, but as it’s said .......... happens.LOL I haven’t had any problems with my dog. She mostly ignores Roomba unless it comes right at her while she is resting. Then she will stop it with a paw or just move out of the way.

She has learned that when Roomba goes home, she will come and sit by me looking to the living room. I give her a treat. Some dogs will do anything for even the smallest reward. Equavalent to a single jelly bean for me.

We’ll see what happens when we move to the boat in the spring.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Old thread, but figured I’d update. We ended up getting a Bobi Pet on sale and loved it. It was extremely quiet and was great at picking up the hair on our hard floors. Because of the layout of our current apartment, and our furniture, we ended up selling it (kept getting stuck) to a friend who has a much more open floor plan and adores it. Got a Dyson v8 animal as the replacement and love it. It taked me 15 mins to do the whole apartment and is very convenient for cleaning the car as well.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I've had my Roomba for a few years now and when it dies I likely will not get another one. It does a nice job of cleaning up dog hair in between vacuuming, but I still have to vacuum regularly. A few things I don't like about it:

- The Roomba doesn't get everywhere. If there is something on the floor blocking it's path it will turn around and go the other way.
- It gets stuck in certain places ALL THE TIME (like under the bed just out of reach).
- It locks itself in my bathroom and can't get out again.
- It can never seem to find its way back to the charger.
- It can't get up onto the rugs in the house and if it does, it gets stuck there.
- It goes under furniture, which is great, but it gets itself tangled in cords that are under the TV, couch, etc.

Like I said, my Roomba is good for cleaning up in between vacuums, but it has a lot of flaws. I have all hardwood floors, with a few area rugs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just moved into our new home and Deebot was the perfect present to myself. We have one dog and mostly wood floors and it works wonders. It is a little loud but nothing compared to a normal vacuum cleaner. We run it at 11:30PM and have no complaints. It usually gets the floors spotless and rarely have we had an issue with it getting stuck. It does drag and push stuff around if you let it. Keep small items like flip flops, power cables and other similar items off of the floor. Sometimes it will get under the couch and while I appreciate the extra cleaning effort he does like to get stuck on my surround sound cables under there. Easy fix is to block off areas with a shoe or boot. $150 and you'll have clean floors 3x a week and cleaning out the robot is a piece of cake. Open it up, remove the 3 filters, wash two of them and shake out the other. Clean the brushes monthly and also check out the app to see when the replacement brushes and filters are due.
review imagereview image

·
Registered
458 Posts
LOL......old, ancient thread.

My SWMBO has a robot vacuum......all she has to do to initiate the vacuum is to say, "Honey, will you run the vac today?"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts