Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I came home for lunch today to discover that we had forgot to put the dogs in their crates. Surprisingly they behaved quite well.

Previously we had been crating them the first 5 hours, coming home and letting them out and then crating them the last 4 hours again. After leaving them out it got us to wondering if it would be ok to leave them out to roam the house some while we are at work. For example - crate them the first 5 hours and let them roam the house for the last 4 hours. Of course we would make sure to get everything up off the floor and shut all the doors to the bedrooms so they couldn't do too much damage. If were also wondering if we did let them roam if we should leave them chew toys in the hopes of possibly preventing them from shewing out stuff up. Thanks

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
If they did that well, why not? But it only takes one bad day before you're shelling out cash to replace something. Why don't you confine the to one room with a baby gate? Chew toys or a kong is a great idea. I recommend a kong even if they are in crates. My dog has free roam of the bedroom and we're both happy with that arrangement.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Both my dogs roam free and have never been crated and the worst I have ever come home to is a chewed sandle from our newer puppy and paper towels a time or two but nothing to bad. But like I said they have never been crated and they are never alone long because my uncle and gma live behind me and our houses are connected by a fence so they get alot of attention.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We actually tried to confine them to one room and they didn't do so well. They destroyed anything they could and almost destroyed the gate from scratching on it so much. We thought that maybe they still felt too confined in just one room?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Our schnauzer has free roam and always has, the only thing that she has ever chewed is one baby book 9 years ago. She doesn't have accidents in the house either. I would certainly try it, I think people really, really overuse crates. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If we do come home to something that they did what would be the best means to disipline? and how would we know which one actually did it?

·
Banned
414 Posts
I agree. It also depends on their energy level. We left our old dogs inside when we were at work and left them nylabones or real bones to chew. If they get some play time first they may be inclined to nap.

Now we have two younger dogs. We leave Duchess, my mom's GSD loose. She is pretty low energy and tends to sleep in her crate when we are away. My dog Max is crated or goes to day camp if I'm away. He is high energy and has a "tail of doom" that clears the coffee table and all the end tables. It's a small house and I'm afraid if the two of them get playing disaster will happen.

Try your dogs loose for short trial periods. Limit their space to one room. Make sure all breakables and items of value are out of reach and of course let them have a bathroom break first.

Good Luck

·
Banned
221 Posts
If we do come home to something that they did what would be the best means to disipline?
You don't discipline unless you catch them in the act. In the case you are talking about, you can't dicipline. Don't worry about it. It will all be ok. Or it won't, in which case they go back in their crates.

and how would we know which one actually did it?
You will never know. Thats part of the fun of owning 2 dogs. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
i tried confining biz to the kitchen.

he ate 2 loaf's of bread (run's out the ying yang)

*note to self.... hide bread better*

he ate the baby gate that kept him from the living room.

*note to self, that baby gate sucked anyway*

now he does great. the bedrooms are off limits though, only the cats can go in there.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My dogs have free roam of every room in the house but the bathroom thats not a great dog place and the puppy really likes paper stuff like toilet paper she loves to shred it into tiny pieces never eats it just shreds it all over but as soon as we learned that we just kept her away from the bathroom and kept all paper things away from her. We have never had an issue with anything else. They are good girls and are never left alone long but they really dont get into to much trouble they just sleep in our bed or on our couch thats about all. Good luck to you and hope it works out well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We are leaving for work in a few mins and I think we are going to let them roam the house. Wish us luck everyone :)

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Heh Moker, that's a good way to put it. :p

For me Max has free roam and aside from a few notable incidents it has worked well for us. The key though is making sure he has had a good walk before he's left by himself. When he hasn't that's when I find that he's gone through the bathroom trashcan and that was behind the one day he chewed up my shoe. Just make sure food is out of reach as well because, well dogs are dogs and if they find food (or even not food but something that smells enticing...in my house we call those "floor tasties") they will probably eat it.

Also trainer is absolutely right you cannot discipline a dog unless you catch them in the act. If you try to the only lesson they will really get is that you are unstable and sometimes you come home and scream at them. (this doesn't mean I think you are unstable I'm just explaining how they might perceive it). That whole "they know what they did wrong" thing is mostly a myth.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Luna escaped her crate a couple of times, and surprisingly we came home to find the house still in one piece. We don't think she had any accidents... none that we found, anyway!

I can't imagine leaving her run free every day, though. She would chew everything! It's more for her own safety that I crate her, rather than concern for my personal belongings, though. (Well... that and the safety of our two cats. She seems to want to stick their heads in her mouth).

Once Luna gets over her chewing phase (if she ever does!) we'll probably allow her to roam free in the family room (pretty much the entire basement of our home).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts