Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While walking Roxxie in public , She is very people and dog friendly. She greets strangers and their dogs very politely.:wave:
Strangers have commented on how extremely well behaved and friendly she is. Perfect behavior.

But, When Roxxie gets in the Truck. She becomes a totally different dog. Only certain people are allowed to get near "Her Truck". She becomes very selective
about who can Walk By or Park Near "Her Truck".

I think she has some kind of Road Rage issues..

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I know what you mean. Kit LOVES everyone. But if people stare at her when she's in the car (crated) she will let them know that it's her car. She barked pretty menacingly at the gas station attendant this morning (we don't have self-serve gas in Oregon, so the attendant has to pump). If I went back there, opened the hatch, and let her out of the crate, she'd be all wiggly and waggy over the opportunity to meet the same dude.

ETA: I forgot about motorcycles. Kit HATES it when we're at a stoplight and a motorcycle is waiting behind us. Same thing: someone staring at her. For some reason, it's not a problem if that person is staring at her from inside a car.

·
Banned
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I went back there, opened the hatch, and let her out of the crate, she'd be all wiggly and waggy over the opportunity to meet the same dude.
Its funny that you said that..
I stopped at the store with Roxxie in the truck, A woman saw Roxxie and approached the truck to say Hi!...and Roxxie decided
to bark at her...a lot!

I got out of the truck to go into the store and spoke with the woman for a while. She owned an Irish Setter and Loved dogs..
and she said how beautiful my Rottie was..and then she said .."But Theyre Not Friendly".

So when we left the store , I took Roxxie out of the truck to meet the woman again , and as usual Roxxie was perfectly behaved
and extremely friendly. Then the woman said "OMG what a big baby..she is so friendly...and shes a big teddy bear"

15 minutes later...Roxxies back in the truck and barking her brains out at a 95 year old man who is acting suspiciously near the
vehicle.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Uallis is fine with PEOPLE approaching the car but not other dogs. Our Lab isn't even allowed near the car if Uallis is inside it.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Oliver has been known to behave aggressively while in the car as well. I think he thinks it is fun to watch people jump away from the car when they are walking past and then he suddenly barks loudly. Sassy little puppy. :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
We were driving along a quiet road with Hamish in the back of the car when he spotted a mature couple in the car behind us - he was leaping up and down, barking / growling, etc. This lasted for at least 30 minutes until we overtook another car at which point he calmed down totally and lay down on the back seat. That was about 4 years ago and it's never happened again.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Oliver has been known to behave aggressively while in the car as well. I think he thinks it is fun to watch people jump away from the car when they are walking past and then he suddenly barks loudly. Sassy little puppy. :)
That reminds me of something that used to happen to me almost weekly. They physiotherapy clinic that I go to also treats the local police dog handler. I recognize his suburban, I KNOW the dog (GSD) is in the back. I spent about 12 weeks in a row jumping out of my skin. I swear that dog waits until you're really close then barks like a beast. A couple weeks ago though, I learned a trick. He barked (and I was ready!) I made a kissy noise at him and he STOPPED and hasn't barked at me since. Tempted to tell the handler, but not sure how he'd feel if his big bad police dog responded to kissies :D

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
That reminds me of something that used to happen to me almost weekly. They physiotherapy clinic that I go to also treats the local police dog handler. I recognize his suburban, I KNOW the dog (GSD) is in the back. I spent about 12 weeks in a row jumping out of my skin. I swear that dog waits until you're really close then barks like a beast. A couple weeks ago though, I learned a trick. He barked (and I was ready!) I made a kissy noise at him and he STOPPED and hasn't barked at me since. Tempted to tell the handler, but not sure how he'd feel if his big bad police dog responded to kissies :D
Ha Ha Yup, that is Oliver in a nutshell. He waits until the person is right by his window then barks loudly and smashes against the window. I have witnessed him many times and noticed him all happy with himself. I know it is a sense of humor. If the door somehow opened, he would be totally happy to love on the stranger, he always is.

If someone told me that they made kissy noises at my dog and my dog settled down, I would just laugh. I am sure it would work with him too. If I leave the window open, anyone can pet him and he is fine. I think he feels safer acting the fool if the window is there to keep him safe. He is a real brave one. ha ha

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Anyone can walk past the truck and all Bus will do is whine in hopes they'll come pet him. People can come up to the truck and love on him. When we travel with Bus I pop the back of the Durango open at stops, even if he's not getting out, so he can have some air. He never fails to attract attention. He'll bark like mad if someone pulls up behind us (like at a stop sign/light) on a motorcycle, though. He's completely fine with motorcycles when he's not confined to the truck.

One Sunday afternoon last fall we were heading out to meet up with my dad at an area camp ground. Im sitting in the truck with my 4 daughters and Buster while my husband pumps gas, chatting with the girls about how they're to behave themselves :p Next thing we know 3 horses are ridden into the parking lot. They came up right along side the truck. Buster spots them and starts growling. He'd never seen a horse, let alone so close, before that day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts