Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to suggest a RMB for my friends 12wk old Rottie pup who is chewing everything it comes in contact with. Can anyone offer me some suggestions. She wanted to offer something that would last for a very active chewer and something that she didn't have to worry about causing harm like rawhide.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't think of those I was worried it might be a little to hard for those puppy teeth,do you think it'll be ok?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yea I have a 4 month old mini pinscher he loves it he still has puppy teeth. But I have to take it away some days because he eats RMB sometimes and the deer antler really ups their calcium.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Hard bones damage teeth. Bones like cow legs and knuckle bones are much too hard to use as chews. My rule is that if a dog has to gnaw a bone, the bone is too hard.

Maybe try bully sticks?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I second the vote for antlers. My pup has been working on the same one for a year (since he was about 12 weeks old) so I doubt the amount of calcium would be that high in one sitting of gnawing on it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Gally,I wasn't sure my dogs don't care for them and they are older so when the other person mentioned the calcium I got to thinking this may not work. I mentioned bully sticks but when she asked what they were make from she was a little grossed out,I don't know why but I don't think she would buy them. I was thinking rib bone with the meat cut from them and she could use the meat for treats. Would a rib bone be ok?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
A beef rib might be okay. Some dogs try to crunch right through them and I don't care for that. Leave the meat on though. Good stuff and lots of fun for pup to work on.

What about the good old Kong? Keep a number on hand and I understand stuffing and freezing makes for a super long lasting chew. People get very creative with them, ought to be great ideas on this forum as well as elsewhere on the web.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts