Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A co-worker and I were talking about feeding RMBs for dental health and she's interested in trying it with her dog but I'm not sure what bones to suggest! I don't know what she's feeding, but I know it's a kibble/canned combo and she's only interested in raw bones once or twice a week for dental health, not a diet change. I give Mojo chicken wings and drums but I'm pretty sure these wouldn't be appropriate for her 55ish lb adult pit mix. She asked me about chicken bones since that's what I feed but I wasn't sure if any chicken bones would be large enough for a dog that size. His teeth aren't real great, he still has most of his teeth she said, but he's missing quite a few and not a real aggressive chewer in general. Would really appreciate suggestions!

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I don't have an answer but I, too, am interested in knowing which are best, because I'd like to pick up a bone or two for the butcher for my dog to clean her teeth on. (You know, the scrap that they can't use, with just a little bit of the meat attached)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MissMutt, I can't help you with size obviously, but the bones that will help with dental health are Raw Meaty Bones--the kind that have a lot of meat on them. It's the ripping and tearing of the meat that helps clean the teeth so if there isn't a lot of meat on the bone, it's not going to be as helpful. I'd imagine most dogs like bones even if there isn't a lot of meat since most dogs just like to chew them, but if you want the dental benefits you'll want to nab one with plenty of meat on it.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
He should be fine with a chicken quarter, but you really want something he has to work at since she's only giving it to him a few times a week. I would say go with a rack of beef ribs - those are always a good workout and they have enough meat on them to do a little flossing, too. ;)

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Oh, really? I always thought it was the actual grawing at the bone that cleaned the teeth. Shows how much I know about raw feeding :rolleyes:

Bones with a lot of meat will be okay for a dog on a kibble diet?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A rack of beef ribs? As in, all of them? Or she should just cut a couple off and give them?

And yes MissMutt, RMB are fine for kibble fed dogs! Mojo is on a kibble diet but I give him a RMB a couple times a week as a supplement to help with his teeth and it's fine. It took him a while to figure it out at first but after the second time he had it down and does great--I don't even bother thawing them anymore.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Opps! I should have clarified, just cut a few off at a time. And yes, MissMutt - it's fine as long as it's not in the same meal.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Yep, beef ribs should be about the right size for him. I usually give Penny (50 pounds) 2 or 3 ribs. That serves for her dinner that night.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I use beef ribs as well. There is a little bone at the top I cut off as Sassy has swallowed small bones like those and had some trouble with getting them all the way through the system. Maybe they would get digested, not going to take a chance with her. She can eat part of the bone as well but I take it away as soon as I hear any serious bone breaking chewing sounds. A chunk going down not good and it puts a lot of stress on the teeth.

If you could find pork neck bones those are good too. Buy it uncut. The ones I will use are about 2 pounds each and sort of an L shape. Max gets full and tired of chewing and doesn't finish off the whole vertebra section but it is pretty soft bone. A small rack of pork or lamb ribs is completely edible as well. You can buy a pork shoulder roast and cut half of the meat off and use that.

When dogs eat the bone the poop will be drier and harder until the extra bone is through the system. If dogs chew on really hard inedible bone there is a chance teeth will be broken.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts