Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, how to manage ringworm on dogs?

My small Yorkie has been diagnosed with ringworm. It seems to be generalized since we had to stop treatment since she had surgery. I've bathe her with medicated shampoo, purchase a tea tree oil and aloe vera shampoo and spray from the pet store.

The vet had prescribed Fluconazole tablets for the fungal. She is also has thyroid so I think that may have to do with hair loss but she was prescribed tyro-tabs. I've used Durvet Nu-stock and it helped but the problem are that it peels the scabs. I was recommended to try IODINE but I'd like to hear if y'all know of an iodine product recommended to treat ringworm and if you know of any other good products.

The dermatologist gave me the wrong time and now I have to wait until the end of January to bring her in. Hoping I can manage the ringworm before the appointment.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I'm not a vet or any kind of expert, but we home-treated Pepper's ringworm with garlic. I would slice a bulb of garlic in half then make score marks in it and gently rub it on the spot and hold it there as long as she would tolerate it. It cleared up on its own without a vet visit.

Keep in mind she only had one spot about the size of a quarter. If it had gotten any worse I probably would have had to take her in to the vet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Garlic nice, I'll give it a try! I've taken her to the vet several times but they don't really send her topical besides the shampoo. I tried iodine today and it looked like it may work too..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried patting Iodine mixed with water until it looks like tea and it seemed to help clean and with the scabs. Skin looks better now yesterday I tried an epsom salt bath for 10 minutes and I did see like the water got some stuff out like dead skin and hair but her skin looked great afterwards. Looked less irritated thats for sure. I also bought an OTC Lotrimin for Ringworm cream and I am applying it about once a day.

Hopefully these remedies help.

If you have experience treating ringworm please share what worked for you. Also is 10 minutes good for he Epsom bath?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts