Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're foster parents to three cocker spaniels.

Sammy has arthritis in his left hip and had been taking Rimadyl, for a long time.

Rimadyl was costing some $70 for 60 100mg tablets.

Our vet gave us a great tip. We went to Sam's and purchased their Glucosamine HCI Joint Mobility tablets - 240 1500mg tablets for $15 and the ingredients are the same.

Cut the tablets per your vet's dosage.

Not only a large savings, but Sammy seems to have more mobility now.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Rimadyl is an NSAID...Glucosamine is a supplement but not an NSAID. They are two totally different things. But glad the Glucosamine is helping.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Cosequinn DS is what I use for Beau (OCD, left shoulder), and I take it as well - has made a difference, and offers pain relief (Beau can't tell me so, but works on me!).

Rimadyl has some serious side effects, and I nearly lost Beau.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
As mentioned above, a glucosamine supplement is NOT the same as the precription NSAID Rimadyl. If a dog's arthritis isn't severe, a supplement may be all they need...and then if they are having a particularly painful day, you can give a dose of Rimadyl (or whatever pain reliever your vet prescribes). That's how we've always managed arthritis in our old hounds.

We've had the best luck with Healthy Joints K-9 (liquid, not the powder) from Thomas Vet Supply.

Supplements can help, but please don't think you are giving a 1-to-1 subsititute for an actual pain reliever. NSAIDs are generally very safe, but some dogs can have bad reactions to some of them (just like some people have bad reactions to some drugs and not others).

·
Registered
171 Posts
My chihuahua got so sick when she took Rimadyl.I ended up not giving her most the pills(it was for a broken leg).But that stuff can be wicked.I did some research and found it can really be bad for some dogs.I stick to plain aspirin for my elderly dog when his leg hurts him and it works just fine.
My mom has an elderly dog and she uses the glucosamines and has good results with her dog as well.I need to try that for mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts