Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there,

I ride the bus with my 5.5 pound chihuahua Chica and she rides on my lap. I live in San Francisco, so the transit system is the way most people get around. I have been having some issues lately with people invading my personal space to pet my dog. I don't know if they are drunk or what. Last night a man can right at her with his finger pointing towards her face trying to pet her. It was scary, but I got the guy to back off and walk away.

For the most part people are friendly and polite, but what do I do when people start to reach over and pet my dog that is in my lap without asking me? I like that Chica is friendly with people and I don't want change that part of her personality. I just want people to stop getting all up in my space to pet my dog. What should I do, because I am afraid that it is making it harder to train her because of these people's actions?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Indeed, I second the doggie carrier. This one is so cute :D I want to eventually get a bag to carry my dog on the bus, it's so limiting when you don't have a lot of access to a car.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Indeed, I second the doggie carrier. This one is so cute :D

it's so limiting when you don't have a lot of access to a car.
Heck, I now want a small enough dog to warrant that carrier!

Buses are limiting and seem to encourage bad manners. I put earbuds attached to nothing in my ears to stop random crazy talkers and ended up with a guy grabbing my shoulder and shaking me to get my attention! Then there are people who sit in the seat right next to you when you're the only two people on the bus . . .

Forget the carrier, we should both get cattle prods. ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ugh. I have the same problem. Okay, I'm the first to admit that my dog isn't the friendliest dog towards strangers. He is well-trained and very tolerant of being in groups of people, and he does warm up to people quickly after meeting them. Unfortunately, I can't put an American Pitbull Terrier in a doggie carrier. I now have to muzzle my dog at all times in public because people have a habit of coming up to my dog, bending over and staring directly into his eyes, and then grabbing his head, ear, or neck scruff. Mind you, these are full-grown adults, not children. My dog immediately jumps up and nips them. And they have the nerve to say that my dog is out of control and dangerous. I try to explain to them that my dog is well-behaved, but doesn't like to be stared at or have his face grabbed by people he has not even had the time to warm up to, and that it isn't the proper way to approach a dog whether it's friendly or not. These people act like I am some kind of crazy person, and that dogs are expected to be 100% tolerant of all kinds of mishandling by complete strangers. Some people do not know anything about dogs. However, there was a 5-year-old girl the other day that apparently had dogs at home who approached my dog suddenly, which made me a little nervous. But she was so respectful of my dog and allowed him to smell her before petting him and she didn't stare into his eyes like she was trying to suck out his soul. My dog immediately fell in love with her and she gave him a great big hug before she walked away, and he whined after her as she left. I'm not saying that it's okay for my dog to be aggressive with people and he has a class reservation for behavioral management, but I think it's absolutely ridiculous that a 5-year-old knows how to behave more appropriately around dogs than 30-40 year old adults.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ugh. I have the same problem. Okay, I'm the first to admit that my dog isn't the friendliest dog towards strangers. He is well-trained and very tolerant of being in groups of people, and he does warm up to people quickly after meeting them. Unfortunately, I can't put an American Pitbull Terrier in a doggie carrier. I now have to muzzle my dog at all times in public because people have a habit of coming up to my dog, bending over and staring directly into his eyes, and then grabbing his head, ear, or neck scruff. Mind you, these are full-grown adults, not children. My dog immediately jumps up and nips them. And they have the nerve to say that my dog is out of control and dangerous. I try to explain to them that my dog is well-behaved, but doesn't like to be stared at or have his face grabbed by people he has not even had the time to warm up to, and that it isn't the proper way to approach a dog whether it's friendly or not. These people act like I am some kind of crazy person, and that dogs are expected to be 100% tolerant of all kinds of mishandling by complete strangers. Some people do not know anything about dogs. However, there was a 5-year-old girl the other day that apparently had dogs at home who approached my dog suddenly, which made me a little nervous. But she was so respectful of my dog and allowed him to smell her before petting him and she didn't stare into his eyes like she was trying to suck out his soul. My dog immediately fell in love with her and she gave him a great big hug before she walked away, and he whined after her as she left. I'm not saying that it's okay for my dog to be aggressive with people and he has a class reservation for behavioral management, but I think it's absolutely ridiculous that a 5-year-old knows how to behave more appropriately around dogs than 30-40 year old adults.
I think people of all ages should have to enroll in dog etiquette and behavior classes. Dogs have been intertwined with human lives for hundreds of years, you'd think the human population would learn how to be around them. They're so prevalent that it should be common knowledge how to approach a dog and so forth. Everyone knows "Stop, Drop and Roll" if you were to catch on fire, but the chances of catching on fire are far less than encountering a dog. Unless... people are bursting into flames more often than I think o_O

·
Registered
404 Posts
My response is not of any help - sorry. But I am happy I seen this post as I am in the process of training my dog to be my service dog (spine injury) and never once thought that adults would come up to him and act like this! Maybe the service dog vest will stop them.....? :hand:

·
Registered
427 Posts
The service dog vest will stop most ... but you'll find people that will ignore that too.

What to do riding the bus? Get a rottweiler. ;) I rode the bus, underground, and train when we were in Sweden and very few people even talked to me and my dog. LOL

·
Registered
332 Posts
I love the carrier! Might have to put a few dollars aside so I can get my peke one! I feel your pain, in the short time I've been a dog owner I've discovered dog=conversation starter, sort of. They see my dog and out comes the baby talk and the hands that want to pet her. My neighbor begs me to hold her.

Some, okay a lot, of people have no concept of boundaries. Any pregnant woman knows this. When I was pregnant I actually slapped hands away from touching my belly, or when you go out with the newborn, I've had to deftly move the baby away from people who wanted to touch.

Or you could wear a sign that says, "No. You cannot pet my dog." :p

·
Registered
339 Posts
I love the carrier! Might have to put a few dollars aside so I can get my peke one! I feel your pain, in the short time I've been a dog owner I've discovered dog=conversation starter, sort of. They see my dog and out comes the baby talk and the hands that want to pet her. My neighbor begs me to hold her.

Some, okay a lot, of people have no concept of boundaries. Any pregnant woman knows this. When I was pregnant I actually slapped hands away from touching my belly, or when you go out with the newborn, I've had to deftly move the baby away from people who wanted to touch.

Or you could wear a sign that says, "No. You cannot pet my dog." :p
I never got why people would rub pregnant women's bellies, especially strangers out of the blue, it's such a violation of personal space. Use your words and compliment instead, get your hands off of those preggers women.

We should fill that market... make shirts and stuff: "No, you cannot rub my belly." "No, you cannot pet my dog." and "No, you cannot smell my newborn." lol

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
SMELL the newborn??

But uh yeah, I don't ride any public transport with my dog but I do go to Petco and I'll have her staying in the cart while I bend down to look at fish and someone will be petting her when I turn around again... Really freaked me the heck out at first because she used to avoid letting anyone pet her and growl if they actually managed to, but luckily it had the opposite effect of socializing her better.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I too love that carrier!!

Am I bad for not caring if people pet my dog? I like to expose them to as much as possible.. children, adults, other dogs..

However , I have noticed that if you walk around with a big 'mean-looking' dog and a small dog, you get approached a lot less. People here tend to leave me alone when I'm out with my gsd mix and my chi mix pup, but never when its just my chi mix puppy lol

·
Registered
427 Posts
When people ask me to pet ... or come up to just do it ... my dog I always tell them they can't, they have to stop and wait at the same time I tell Mandy to stay where she is (she LOVES people and think everyone should pet her). As soon as that happens people think that she's mean.
"Oh does he bite" is the normal question. When I say, "She, it's a she, and no, she's very friendly but she can't just rush up and visit with people, she has to wait for me to tell her it's okay" I often hear behind my back, "It's one of those aggressive Rottweilders".:frusty:

·
Banned
158 Posts
Not totally related - but I WISH that I could ride the bus with my pup!! Dogs are technically not allowed on public transit here, although little dogs in bags are usually ignored.

You are very, very lucky to live in a city where you can take your dog on transit at all - we have to walk or drive everywhere (that last one is difficult because we don't have our own car...) if we want to take her. The most frustrating thing is that we live in a city that is both environmentally oriented, AND very dog-friendly (most shops are dog friendly, everywhere leaves water bowls out, there are lots of dog parks, etc)...so we are encouraged to have a dog, not to have a car, yet we can't take the dog on the bus. Le Sigh

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I never got why people would rub pregnant women's bellies, especially strangers out of the blue, it's such a violation of personal space. Use your words and compliment instead, get your hands off of those preggers women.

We should fill that market... make shirts and stuff: "No, you cannot rub my belly." "No, you cannot pet my dog." and "No, you cannot smell my newborn." lol
I found that returning the favor seemed to stop most pregger belly rubbers in their tracks. Apparently they don't make the connection between them not liking their belly groped and a pregnant woman not liking it either. I finally got to that point after multiple horrid ultrasounds where I was so sore belly wise that I'd had enough of people walking up and mashing me that I got over being rude back and started checking out their muffin tops. Just a hint for those who may find themselves in that situation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Activedogs.com sells service dog gear. You can buy a patch that can be sewn to a vest, or they even have cards that clip to the collar tags, that say "Don't Pet" and "Service Dog, Stay Back"...things like that. I'd get the card with clip and place it in an obvious spot on the dogs' collar for the bus rides.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts