Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At first i was worried that Maybe might have a collapsed trachea. took her the vet. and came home knowing no more than before we went. Now it could just be reverse sneezing? At leas i'm hopeing thats what it is and that i have nothing to worry about. She has had her odd cough on a few occasions. sometimes after drinking sometimes at random and twice she had really bad episodes after pulling the dog sled with my other two-to me it seemed to last several mins. but i was pretty worried so it probably seemed long than it was. I have read that drinking, pulling on lead and excitement can cause reverse sneezing, so pulling a sled could probably do it. If it is reverse sneezing is this nothing to worry about? Or can reverse sneezing even be something to worry over. I have no problem not having her pull the sled. However i would love for her to be able to, because she loves running and pulling and it's becasue of her that i have grown to be obsessed with huskies and sledding.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Reverse Sneezing isn't usually a big deal. If you rub their throat, and gently blow on their nose, it seems to make it quit sooner. You can google "Youtube Reverse sneezing" and see some videos that you can compare your dog to.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Kiska does the reverse sneezing fairly often at home for seemingly no reason. She has never done it while doing Agility which surprised me as I thought she might do it more when she was excited, in fact she has never done it anywhere but at home.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Our dog did it a few times, we've only had her about 4 months now, she's 8 months old. But google it, it could be something inside the house?

·
Super Moderator
11,513 Posts
Molly was doing that last night and my wife thought she was dying.

It diminished considerably while I scratched her chest and talked softly to her and the resumed as soon as I stopped.

I think she was doing it on purpose.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If a dog starts doing this when they did not before, it can be a sign of something and should be checked. Generally it means that there is something in their nasal cavity that they are trying to get out. It can be discharge due to allergies or a virus. It can be a foreign body like a foxtail. I know someone whose dog actually had a colony of mites growing in their nose. If it only happens after pulling the sled I probably would not worry about it.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Cavaliers are notorious for reverse sneezing. I stop it by pinching their noses tightly, thus forcing them to breath through their mouths. It stops the spasm and only takes a few seconds. I agree if this is something that has just started and your breed is not known for this, a vet check would be in order.

·
Registered
871 Posts
we thought Ziva was doing the reverse sneezing thing for awhile. I looked it up on you tube and watched dogs doing it...it really did sound similar. But she was also making this sound that reminded me of a very croupy baby. So we went to the vet.
At first, the vet listened to me describe the sound, and he thought it was also reverse sneezing. The vet and I spent a long time making noises at each other, like you often do when you take a sick car in to the shop:)

But eventually, Ziva made the sound in front of the vet, and it was NOT reverse sneezing, it was actually tracheitis, and if I hadnt taken her in when I did and got her meds, she would have had to stay there for frequent nebulizer treatments.

So if you are unsure, please have it checked out. Lots of folks told me that yorkies are famous for doing that sneezing thing, and maybe they are, but you can always dx a dog by videos and friends opinions.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Try to catch it on video. I thought our pup was reverse sneezing and so I grabbed it on video and went to the vet, since I assumed he would NOT do it when I needed him too, lol. Turns out he had a respiratory infection.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
My Shih Tzu, Kim, started to hack and cough one morning. It sounded a lot like reverse sneezing which she had never done before but she just kept doing it. I finally put her in the Van and headed for the Vet. She did it all the way there as if she was trying to cough something up. I arrived at the Vet and took her in and she immediately stopped doing it and there was no way I could get her to do it. Walked her up and down outside and finally just took her home. She never did it again.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
she has done it twice after pulling the sled lasting AT LEAST a min. each time.(the only two times she pulled the sled last winter) She has done it on other occasions but only for a few secconds. sometimes after drinking water, and sometimes with no real reason. I did take her to the vet and they didn't help any at all.

To get the vet it's a 4 hour drive each way. thats like $100 in gas and $70 just for the vet to look at her. I can't just take her in every time i'm not sure of something.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts