Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could help!

Poppy, my 4 year old Lhasa Apso has started reverse sneezing quite a lot in the last couple of months. She has a lot of eye discharge and sounds quite snuffly when breathing.
I took her to the vets as I thought it may be hayfever but they thought its may have been an infection so gave antibiotics. These made her reverse sneezing a lot worse so we stopped giving them her after 3 days and took her back to the vets. The vet then said she may have had a piece of grass stuck in her soft pallet or nasel passage as she started having green snot coming out of her nose. They knocked her out, checked her airways and did an x-ray but didnt find anything.
They have now give her piriton tablets and they do help stop her reverse sneezing. However, after 2 weeks, she seems to be reverse sneezing a lot more.

Is it an allergy or something else. I just get worried as it seems to really distress Poppy when she starts reverse sneezing. Otherwise she is fine, shes still eating, running around and barking!!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Get a 2nd opinion and have them scope sinuses, and check teeth (for infection).

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would suggest visitting a holistic vet near by... It's a bit different than a conventional vet, but I've found they are incredibly thorough. I use a variety of homeopathic remedies with the dogs from time to time and have a huge kit. You may see that it helps immensely. Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a 4 year old Shih Tzu that reverse sneezes sometimes. She has seasonal allergies, and so currently she is on child's claritin, just one tablet in the morning(I should add that the vet told us to do this, and you should check with a vet before doing this!), and that's helped! She also had really runny eyes(like, her face was always wet), and now she's pretty dried up. She also reverse sneezes if she swallows something weird, like breathing in a piece of food instead of eating it, or if she eats a stick or something rough and it scratches her throat. Those are just a few things it could be though, I agree about getting a second opinion!

~IJMB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts