Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My original post was a question about how to get Kabota to play fetch. There were some great suggestions, and after mulling it over, I decided on the following strategy:

Sometimes Kabota takes the stuffy I have thrown and runs to a certain spot next to the coffee table to chew on it. (And growl hilariously. I listen to him growl and literally laugh out loud.) I positioned myself so he'd have to go past me and when he got to me, I clicked. Kabota knows that sound means good things, so sometimes he'd stop and look at me, and then I'd click and treat that.

So now I throw a stuffy, he grabs it, runs to me, drops it and waits for his treat, which sometimes he gets and sometimes he gets to run after the stuffy again, which he greatly enjoys anyway. If he doesn't do that, I think he's just done playing for the moment, which is okay by me.

Thanks for all the help, guys!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Congrats! Great strategy! I might use that! Caeda sometimes gets her "chase me" attitude going and buzzes past me (sometimes she retrieves fine....but not always).

·
Registered
24 Posts
The stuffy or tennisball on a string trick always worked for me. I started Kita's **go get it** training indoors with no distractions. 1 treat after every other **go get it** and she loves it.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Gally used to be bad at bringing the ball all the way back when we played fetch inside. Since we started practicing "basket" which is to put his toys away in the basket he now fetches the ball and puts it in the basket. I didn't teach these two together I think he just realized he gets treated everytime he puts his toys away. It's pretty funny and I don't mind because he never tries to play keep away with it and I can just put his basket down near me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts