Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 small dogs, a rat terrier and a half rat half scottie, both female (mother daughter duo, both fixed), 5 and 6 years old that I am wanting to retrain to be indoor dogs. They've never lived indoors but my boyfriend and I are planning to move to Denver and we want to take them with us.
I have 2 cats who have never been outdoors, the mom dog is very aggressive when left to her own devices, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips on crate training them (preferably in the same crate if possible because the daughter whines and howls when separated from her mom). Also the mom is a runner who has picked up a bad habit of chasing cars and people when not on a leash (our fence is rotting, and she has taken to digging under it as well to get out the yard) so I don't really want her to be outside in Denver.
We want to take them because 1) I can't bear the thought of leaving them behind or giving them away as I raised them both from pups, and 2) dogs are good security to help increase our chances of not getting robbed.
Please any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
I've read tons of training posts so I know it is possible (difficult but possible) to retrain them. I just need advice from more someone that's maybe got first hand experience training/retraining animals.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Lots of dogs are adopted with backgrounds as outside dogs, stray dogs, unknown settings. It is very possible to train an adult dog to be an inside dog.

Housetraining-- the advantage here is that the dog is an adult dog with fully developed bladder and brain. You housetrain like a dog is a puppy with frequent breaks outside as possible and rewards for potty outside, but overall, the dog already has the ability to hold their body functions for a longer time then a puppy so there is less chance of them having an accident inside.

Crates-- Separate crates, next to each other if needed. Play "crate games". If they are close in age and show anxiety when separated, then you should also read up on "littermate syndrome". It is not about being littermates biologically but how young dogs can emotionally bind to each other too closely and have a lot of stress when separated. If Mama dog and baby dog are only 1 year apart, I can see how they could have separation anxiety having not been apart enough before.

Cats--- crate and rotate.

Runner-- microchip the dog and keep it up to date with cell phone number and latest address. Get a habit of putting the dog in a crate or behind a closed door before opening the front door to the home.

Exercise-- keeping a dog mentally and physically exercised can somewhat reduce the tendency to dig, under a fence or otherwise.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I agree with Shell's advice. It sounds like your dogs are mostly going to require a lot of basic obedience and house manners training. It will take a while, but they'll get there.

Also, I second the 'separate crates' advice. You can have the crates near each other, but I would never put two dogs in one crate unsupervised, even if they are the best of friends usually.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts