Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

retractable leashes

4K views 40 replies 23 participants last post by  xxxxdogdragoness 
#1 ·
My husband is a huge fan of retractable leashes; I hate them for a multitude of reasons. I've been trying to explain that dogs on retractables have a more difficult time learning loose leash walking, but he says retractables don't have enough tension for it to matter.

I've done some searching, but have only found vague opinions on the matter. Does anyone have a good source for "retractables are bad for loose leash training"?

On a more positive note, he did find a source that said his plan for training our pup on the interior steps (basically flooding) was a bad idea and mine (desensitization and counter-conditioning) was the preferred method. Baby steps for both of them :)

Many thanks!

#2 ·
Well I don't know of anywhere to find it printed about the retractable leashes, but I will agree with you in that I HATE retractable leashes.... both using them and other people using them as well. I can't even tell you how many dogs I've had lunge at me (even just to say hi) simply because they weren't being restrained and could just pull as far as they wanted to. You're basically telling your dog "do whatever the hell you want, I'm not gonna stop you".

But for a stronger opinion for your husband, you could take him to pretty much any dog trainer and ask them their opinion on the matter... they'll tell you

#5 · (Edited)
I must use retractables in a different manner than most. Unless we're playing / running in the yard, the leash is locked at an appropriate length: longer (5-6' if we're walking around the house or down the drive; much shorter if we're on the street - so she can't stray into the path of cars).

I'm still researching trainers, but this will be one of the first topics we discuss.

Well I am any dog trainer and not only are they not a good training system for anything, they are also an invitation to an injury for dog or person that gets the lead wrapped on a body part, usually an ankle.

If I've learned one thing traveling through life it's that sometimes people have to learn these silly things themselves. So good luck and happy learning.
Thanks for your thoughts. I've been nearly injured with standard leashes, but I suspect that's due to my own failings.

They have their uses. Not everyone wants their dog to be well-mannered. Or rather, not everyone cares to commit the resources to teaching manners to their dog. If you have a small dog whom you don't believe in correcting, and you just want to drag it around the neighborhood barking and lunging at everything that moves, it's perfect for you.

Walks are more than just great fun and exercise. They're an excellent bonding opportunity, they set the tone for your relationship with your dog. If you won't pay attention to the dog, don't be surprised when he doesn't pay attention to you.
Not sure what part of my original post implied I that I'm not interested in a well-mannered dog. The whole reason for my question is to convince my husband we need different training techniques / equipment.

#3 ·
Well I am any dog trainer and not only are they not a good training system for anything, they are also an invitation to an injury for dog or person that gets the lead wrapped on a body part, usually an ankle.

If I've learned one thing traveling through life it's that sometimes people have to learn these silly things themselves. So good luck and happy learning.

#4 · (Edited)
They have their uses. Not everyone wants their dog to be well-mannered. Or rather, not everyone cares to commit the resources to teaching manners to their dog. If you have a small dog whom you don't believe in correcting, and you just want to drag it around the neighborhood barking and lunging at everything that moves, it's perfect for you.

It's kind of annoying when you're trying to teach your pup not to bark at every dog you meet on the street, and along comes some random neighbor chatting on a cell while her unmannered french bulldog is running every which way and yapping at the top of his lungs and she can't be bothered. Or the other lady picks up her still-barking schnauzer, saying with a smile, "you know how terriers are," knowing full well by the westie sitting calmly at your feet that you do in fact know exactly how terriers are. oops, sorry about the rant.

Walks are more than just great fun and exercise. They're an excellent bonding opportunity, they set the tone for your relationship with your dog. If you won't pay attention to the dog, don't be surprised when he doesn't pay attention to you.

#6 ·
It really depends how it's used.

It's the only leash I use. Dexter gets three walks a day. A fast paced walk where the leash is locked at short length so he stays right by me, a relaxed walk where the leash is mostly unlocked (unless someone walks by) where he can explore around, a really fast paced walk with a friend where the leash is locked again.

Bascially, it's used as a normal leash 2 times out of 3. I use it anyway, since the handle is comfy. Especially in winter, if caribous are all over town and it's -50 and Dexter can forget his manners. If something happens and he pulls, it doesn't cut off circulation in the cold. The other time where it's used as a long leash, I simply stay aware of my surroundings and make sure no stranger can feel intimidated (hahah it's funny, but it happens) or he can't go see his favorite people in town unless they invite him to.

#7 ·
Aside from the loose leash training problem, I have seen too many retractable leads break to consider them sturdy enough to walk anything bigger than a Yorkie. The little lock mechanism just doesn't seem to be able to stay locked against a strong and sudden pull. So you're walking along with it locked at a nice length, the dog lunges at a rabbit and pop, its broken.

If I see a dog on a retractable leash, I give them a very very wide pass, as all too often, it turns out the owner doesn't have the leash locked and there is suddenly a dog running towards mine.

I think the tension IS enough for them to know they are pulling. Maybe not if it were attached to a harness, but definitely on a collar.

If you want a comfortable handle, there are leashes with padded handles or you can get (regular, 6 ft) leashes with sturdy plastic handles like this (just an example, not an endorsement)

#10 ·
Dexter can perfectly make the difference between when the leash is locked and when it's not. He doesn't pull at all on our regular walks, unless there's something too tempting for him (the exceptional cat, caribous or foxes). And even with the most motivation, the lock as always resisted my 65 pounds sled dog.

#9 ·
There was a thread on here this year a while back.....cannot find it....where a dog fell over a cliff into a ravine and broke it's back and was severely injured, due to a retractable leash that malfunctioned and broke. Ever since that thread I have long retired my retractable leashes. The article really freaked me out!

#15 ·
OMG! How tragic!

If you want a comfortable handle, there are leashes with padded handles or you can get (regular, 6 ft) leashes with sturdy plastic handles like this (just an example, not an endorsement)
Actually, the handle on our retractable is horrible. I like the regular loop style so I can slip it over my wrist and have both hands relatively free so that I can hold a flashlight while picking up poop. We're going out today and I may try to talk my husband into getting just a regular long leash for the yard. Something like what you've recommended.

Dexter can perfectly make the difference between when the leash is locked and when it's not. He doesn't pull at all on our regular walks, unless there's something too tempting for him (the exceptional cat, caribous or foxes). And even with the most motivation, the lock as always resisted my 65 pounds sled dog.
I absolutely love mine. HOWEVER, I use the tape style and both of my dogs are extremely well-trained, both on and off lead. I hike, and on a hiking trail, it is usually against the regulations to have off-leash dogs. So, I use the flexi to comply with the rule and still give my dogs a bunch of freedom. I use thick collars when I use the flexi so they barely feel the normal tension of flexi itself. Mine just don't pull, so if I give a tug, they just yield. I tell them to heel if we encounter people. I also carry an extra leash in my fanny pack in case the flexi stops retracting and I need to switch. I have had a couple stop working in that manner.

As far as a training tool: Flexis are probably a horrendous choice. Most folks seem to use them on degenerate pullers. That would be the last place I would use a flexi. For pullers in training, a long line is a better choice if you are trying to give them some distance to work from.
Problem is, Katie isn't trained yet and pulls horribly on the leash if she sees or smells something interesting. I'm working on it, but it's going slowly.

Thanks for all your help!

#13 ·
I absolutely love mine. HOWEVER, I use the tape style and both of my dogs are extremely well-trained, both on and off lead. I hike, and on a hiking trail, it is usually against the regulations to have off-leash dogs. So, I use the flexi to comply with the rule and still give my dogs a bunch of freedom. I use thick collars when I use the flexi so they barely feel the normal tension of flexi itself. Mine just don't pull, so if I give a tug, they just yield. I tell them to heel if we encounter people. I also carry an extra leash in my fanny pack in case the flexi stops retracting and I need to switch. I have had a couple stop working in that manner.

As far as a training tool: Flexis are probably a horrendous choice. Most folks seem to use them on degenerate pullers. That would be the last place I would use a flexi. For pullers in training, a long line is a better choice if you are trying to give them some distance to work from.

#18 ·
I would agree with you, in terms of training walking. I have found it FANTASTIC for recall training in the yard, leave it in the yard, and short distance fetch. The long line works too, but I like the retraction of the flexi which keeps me from getting myself wrapped up in the long line or tripping (yes, I am this clumsy).

We do use it for walking occasionally, but never in public places. We have our "free walks", sort of a free sniffing exploration expedition. The only real rules are no pulling and no bolting. She IS a notorious puller sometimes, but she has started to clue in that if she wants to keep up the roaming she doesn't pull and doesn't bolt. Those get the flexi adjusted to the shortest length (with no extra long line to coil up) and a quick trot back to the house, no stopping. Flexis have their uses, but are absolutely the worst for trying to train polite walking habits (I think it was a large source of some of our early troubles with polite walking!)

I can't tell the OP what to tell her husband, but perhaps indulging in some flexi "free walks" in a safe place of course with training walks on a regular leash might be a start.....Just a thought. Good luck!

#16 ·
I hate retractables, they are not only dangerous if they break, they are dangerous period because the dog has too much space to roam. as an example, a few weeks ago I was walking my dogs, Rusty who is a great loose leash walker suddenly freaked out when a peice of cardboard blew in the wind, he jerked to the side too suddenly for me to react and came within inches of being under the tires of a semi..that was on a 4 foot leash. had he been on a retractable? he would have been dead.

thats not to say retractable cant be useful, but I would only ever use to reccomend one for use in say a park to give more space to run.

#17 ·
I admit I will use a regular leash when I bring my dog into civilization each summer. Just for extra control since he's not used to traffic and crowds of people (and tourists wanting to take his pictures). I don't know how much use the flexi would get if I lived someplace normal. Here, even if I walk by the side of the road, traffic is very sparse and everyone knows my dog and just slows down to say hey anyway when they drive by. I know every single dog in town and know which one will be happy if Dex roams to say hey.

It's my first weekend of having enough snow in the street for me to sled with Dexter (i'm so physically spent and so is he...it's awesome). I admit I do it right by the side of the street, all around town. I use the flexi and hold the loose leash just in case something happens and I need for him to wait on the side of the road, but cars slow down to a ridiculous point and give us priority. Fully aware this is not the best solution, but I'm just waiting for some extra money to buy a musher belt. I do have it easy for the flexi, considering my location.

#19 · (Edited)
I love my retractable for the right time and place. I always use my 6ft regular leash for public outings, such as walking in public stores, crowded (or even uncrowded) streets, on our regular walks (even though we hardly encounter other people on our mid afternoon walks, I still prefer using a 6ft leash). I always like to bring the 26ft retractable along with me just in case a moment pops up where we can use it or may need it. When we sleep at others homes (family, friends, etc), I use it for potty breaks. He tends to like more room when he needs to do his business, lol. Or if I know we'll have a big open field to explore. I do have a 50 foot long line for him (mainly we use that on open beaches, etc) but sometimes 50ft is just TOO much, so that's when the retractable comes in handy.

With that said, my dog is not an idiot on it. He doesn't pull all the way out to the 26ft and pull and lunge and bark, etc. He can still obey commands and walk nicely and just use it to be able to sniff and walk a bit faster than me, which is sometimes nice because he can take more steps and get more exercise then he would just walking beside me the whole time. But yeah, there's a time and a place for them. It's a tool and just like anything else, it can be misused.

I will say even my 16lb broke a Flexi lead that said "up to 26lbs". Opened the door (we live on 3 acres, so he's usually on the 50ft line, but for some reason this day, he was on Flexi) and there were a ton of deer out there and he darted - the thing just snapped. I didn't even feel like he pulled THAT hard. So yeah, definitely be careful. Oh and we were camping once and this guy had a Lab on one and again, broke. Seemed to happen in an instant, the owner was like "wtf? did that just break?" like he did not even realize it happened at first. Thank goodness the dog was friendly as he came running over to Jackson and I.

#21 ·
I don't trust them - the lock mechanisms sometimes don't stay locked and too many owners aren't really paying attention with them so their dogs are basically running around off-leash. I also know a couple who go to my dog park who lost their JRT because they thought their retractable was locked and it wasn't, and he ran into the street and got hit by a car. That poor dog died, and now they have a new JRT but they don't use retractable leashes anymore.

Also, Hobbes used to be a puller (he's getting much better with training) and I am afraid that I would actually hurt myself with a retractable if it got tangled around me or something, and he suddenly took off after something. That could probably still happen with a regular leash, but it seems less likely.

#22 · (Edited)
My take on retractable leashes:

Before I had a dog, I thought the concept was pretty convenient.

After I got a dog, I learned to immediately hate the retractable leash.

I actually own a retractable leash for a medium sized dog that reaches 26ft or 28ft away. I used it with Sammy when I first got her so that she could run on the beach. I also used it when taking her in the yard to potty. These scenarios were okay. Whenever we are walking on a sidewalk or around people, I lock the retractable leash with her next to me. Even with a retractable, I was still getting my dog under control when it was necessary to.

The problem with retractable leashes is that;
1.) They are not always reliable leashes. A dog can easily hit the end of the leash and break it.
2.) If the leash does not snap when the dog hits the end, your dog could potentially do a 360 in the air. It's happened! Imagine how bad that is for your dog's neck. Think of the health risks involved, and the potential damage it could do to your pet!
3.) People are ignorant and do not know how to use them properly. That's what it boils down to, in my opinion.

I work at a pet supply store and I see a lot of people using retractable leads. I always try to encourage normal 4ft-6ft leashes, but some people insist on using retractables... Some scenarios that I have witnessed on more than one occasion;

1.) People will let their dogs run up to anyone or anything. This can be extremely dangerous for the sake of the dog. With their owners not paying attention, I have seen dogs run up to other dogs who were NOT quite as friendly. In such cases, the dog on the retractable leash could get injured by another pet! This is also extremely unpleasant for people if the dog runs up to them, and jumps on them! No one really wants a dog to jump on them, especially a larger dog.

2. People will let their dogs roam around while they shop down the aisles. While the owner is busy looking at products, she doesn't notice Fido pissing on every corner of every aisle in the department... Not only that, but sometimes we don't find these accidents and they dry on the floor. We try to keep the store clean, but if owners don't take responsibility for their pets, or don't inform an associate so that WE can clean up the accident, the urine will dry up and this could pose a health risk for other dogs (especially young puppies... because too many people bring puppies in who are several weeks old, but have only had one or two sets of shots... This does not exactly mean they are covered for life just yet! It's safer to NOT put your puppies on the ground, ESPECIALLY at a pet store). Don't blame the store. Blame the ignorant/irresponsible pet owners who don't even have the decency to LET US KNOW. Accidents happen. We don't mind cleaning up after other dogs. The annoying thing is that no one comes to inform us. This could also be a risk factor for PEOPLE, too. Someone could slip and fall... It's sooo frustrating that people let their dogs wonder around.

3.) Just the other night a customer who comes in several times a week with her Yorkie was shopping on the dog toy aisle. I was on the opposite aisle, oblivious to her at the moment, as I was speed-walking back to the front with the information I had gathered for another customer. As I turned the corner, I almost stepped on her Yorkie who had come around the corner, too, and walked right into my path. He is a small dog, and she was at least 8ft away from him, down the toy aisle... I am 200lbs. Can you imagine if I had stepped on that dog, who is probably between 5-10lbs? Oh my god...

4.) Then if your dog has certain aggressive tendencies, or doesn't always get a long with every dog or person it meets, you DEFINITELY don't want to use a retractable. We had a man with an aggressive German Shepherd on a retractable and was letting it walk around at it's own desire, but was telling other customers to keep their dogs away because he was mean... Seriously?

5.) Retractable leashes can be extremely hazardous. Some people just let their dogs walk around customers and entangle them in the cord. This can make someone trip, OR they could get a burn from the cord. Even with jeans on, that cord can SERIOUSLY hurt someone. If a dog bolts past someone and burns their legs, or cuts the back of their knees, OUCH!!!

6.) Several months ago a man came in with two VERY large Rottweilers. They were on retractable leashes, PULLING TO THE EXTREME, and wandering around as they pleased. One actually approached me, with the owner even knowing, and jumped up on me to say hello. That's nice and all, but this dog was MASSIVE and the weight alone could have dropped me to the ground. Imagine if I had been an old lady instead? Imagine an elder vs. a bull dozer. Yeah... kind of like that...

People need to LOCK their retractables and USE THEM WISELY. Since people will not use common sense, I think retractables should just NOT exist... Yes, it's a nice idea. Yes, I've used one before. But if people aren't going to use them appropriately, then they don't need to use one at all. Just today at work a lady had a puppy on a retractable leash and let it go up to these older ladies. The puppy circled around them and tangled their legs. Sure, it's a puppy that weighs no more than 10lbs. But imagine if it were a large breed dog, over 60lbs, or even over 100lbs! That dog would knock you on your butt if it tangled you up in the cord!

Like I said, I used a retractable. But I used common sense.

When I go out (stores, parks, festivals, dog events/competitions, etc.) I use a lead that is appropriate - 4ft-6ft is normal, or a trafffic lead which can be as short as a ruler. When I am in the yard, or in a giant field, or the beach, or a spacious area where I don't trust them off leash, I use the retractable. Fortunately Sammy and Motley do not need to use a retractable anymore because they have a good recall.

Plus they are very responsive to my commands in general, so if they saw something they wanted to go after, I can call them back in a split second and get them to leave the target alone. This means I don't need to worry about ever being in a situation where they will hit the end of the lead and break it. Obviously if you have a more rambunctious dog, or a dog with a bigger prey drive, you would want to use a retractable at your own risk because they can and WILL break if a strong enough forces pull against it.

I would not use a retractable for training. You need control of your dog, and a retractable does not give you that control. I never actually taught my dogs "loose leash walking," but I taught them the "heel" command while on a 4ft - 6ft lead. Now when they are off-leash, I can make them heel as opposed to running ahead of me, behind me, or all around/wherever they feel like running...

The way I see it is this; if you can't control your dog in new environments, I would HATE to see how they are in your house... Good grief!

#23 ·
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on retractable leashes. I share many of your opinions - including that they can be a good tool when used appropriately. Unfortunately, none of this gives me any support for my position that our pup should not be on one until she's learned to walk nicely on a traditional leash. What's worse, my husband claims to be having great success with her behaving nicely on walks. :(

#27 · (Edited)
I'm kinda confused...if the retractable leash is working and is being used properly then why does it NEED to change(aside from the danger issues)? Is it possible to train good leash manners on a Retractable, yes. Does it affect it...I don't know. My dogs have a heel command and a 'wonder around' commmand...it works no matter what kind of leash, or even off leash.

#28 · (Edited)
You aren't going to find any real information or statistics on why retractable leashes are not the best/most effective for training. Why not have your husband speak to a professional trainer. No trainer I have ever known would agree to use a retractable leash. That's you're only real option. Make him read this forum and all of our opinions... Like the person above just said; he should consider the safety hazards of retractable leashes. Even if he's doing good walking on a retractable, what is he going to do when an aggressive dog comes out of nowhere and attacks the puppy. You can't immediately reel him into safety (mind you the puppy will probably want to pull towards the oncoming dog, oblivious to it's lethal intentions). The several seconds it takes to get the puppy near you, could be all it takes for a dog to severely injure or kill the puppy.

It is smarter to reconsider. If he still chooses not to, then that is on him. But he might just turn into one of those people who don't use the leash properly, and end up annoying other dog owners. At least show him this so he can choose to use it wisely. And never let your puppy go up to another dog without first asking (and keep in mind that locking the retractable leash does not always work - as we have all noted, it can easily fail, especially if the dog is heavier or stronger).

#29 ·
I love the retractable leashes for the purpose of hiking in the woods or trails as we live in a fairly rural area. If I want to walk around the subdivision I take my normal 6 foot lead. I think dogs on flexis around people and cars is a bad mix.

I just use the flex in the woods so my dog gets good exercise. Her recall is horrible in the woods partly cause she is a hound and partly cause she is incredibly stubborn. So needless to say I love my flex.

#30 ·
I have not read all two pages, but I will say my mother agrees with you. She hates them as well; my father and I really like them. Luke likes it too, he likes being ahead and I think they're fine.

But as far as training goes, use a shorter leash first. There are pros/cons to every leash in my opinion.

#32 · (Edited)
Both of my dogs can tell the difference between the tension on a retractable and pulling- which they know not to do. We can switch between flexis and normal leashes no problem. I really don't think using a flexi sometimes had any impact on my ability to train loose leash walking on a normal leash. I don't think learning to accept the normal tension on a flexi leash was an issue at all. I suppose the dog might be confused at first because they expect the normal leash to reach as far as a flexi, but dogs aren't stupid. They can learn where the end of multiple leashes are and the sensation of a steady weak pull would be different than the strong intermittent sensation of pulling on the end of a leash. Of course, I'm sure some dogs are sensitive enough to be confused... as always, it probably depends on the dog.

There are more important safety reasons to avoid flexi leashes (as others on this thread have outlined).

#33 ·
My dog is VERY dog reactive. I walk her on a Dogmatic head harness and a 4ft leash. I cross the street when I see any dog approaching, and have solid 'back out' techniques for if we get caught unexpectedly. If you are walking your dog past my dog, they BEST be under reliable control, as my dog will most certainly react and lunge. I have seen more than one person with a 'well behaved' dog who races across the street due to some sort of flexi-lead malfunction.

Any dog on a 20~something foot lead better be under extremely good control. Not only could a meet-and-greet with my dog be a bad situation, but so could a close encounter with a vehicle. At the very least it will be very scary for all.

As others have said, flexi-leads have their time & place. But really, what is the harm in using a standard lead when it means you won't be putting your dog in possible harms way? If you want a more gentle 'end of leash' experience, maybe consider a snap-back leash extension.

BTW.. I also have another 'happy go lucky' and genuinely well behaved little guy. He too is on a standard leash when in public. It just seems like the considerate thing to do.

#39 ·
I feel the need to chime in on this thread and admit that I use a retractable leash. Colour me a bad dog owner if you will, but let me just say this. I used a regular lead when I first got my dog and she was a bit of a puller. Especially when she saw other dogs, big or small, which got her excited. I'm not sure how it happened, but within weeks, she was a loose leash walker (except when she saw other dogs; then all bets were off). I still don't know quite how that happened, but I guess I'm not too terrible of a dog owner/trainer.

A few weeks later, I bought her a retractable leash; the longest one I could find. Made in Germany, good quality (and believe me, I paid the earth for it). I wanted her to be able to roam and sniff a bit away from my iron-clad hand. I am very mindful of how it works and yes, I do know that the locking mechanism doesn't always work.

Which is why I keep my hand ready to just pull the cord in gently if needed. I also get that letting go suddenly of the locking mechanism can snap a dogs head back painfully. I make sure never to let that happen.

I guess what I am saying is that they a can be a good device - but only if used well and responsibly

#40 ·
Retractable leashes are just like any tool- perfect in the right hands and a disaster in the wrong ones. Loose leash walking is something you have to train, as dogs are not inherently going to understand your rules. So the logical thought progression is that retractable leash walking is something you need to train as well. I find myself equally annoyed at people that do not train their dogs to walk appropriately on a short lead as I do those on a retractable. As a runner/bicyclist I hate having to go well out of my way to get around other people's negligence. However, while I use a 6 foot lead for most of our walks, but a retractable lead is the perfect tool for a casual walk with people or my morning run.

We haven't had the retractable lead very long, maybe 2-3 months. However, Bada is accustomed to loose leash walking and even on the flexi will walk at my side. Even better, she'll run by my side on the retractable which is much more convenient than the 6 foot lead flopping around. She stays within 4-5 feet of me unless I tell her otherwise. If I tell her to go sniff she knows that she can stop to enjoy a good smell or hop over to run in the grass. Her favorite activity (early on in a run) is to race to the end of the leash not quite reaching the end, stop to sniff, wait till I pass her a good distance then race to the front again. When we see other people/dogs/animals she returns to my side (I used to have to call her but the idea gelled) and if I stop she sits next to me. Overall it makes a much more enjoyable run and a better walk when I'm with the wife or friends having a conversation. I can let the dog wander so she can enjoy the walk while I enjoy a good conversation. For a really fun trick, I taught her to bark after she poos so if I'm distracted I don't become a discourteous neighbor. I'm not sure if that'll bite me in the butt in the future or not.

Regardless, retractable leads are not necessarily evil- they just need training in the same way that potty training, leash training, command training and crate training. After all, what's a tool if you don't know how to use it?

#41 ·
Candid canines>> I first have to say that I LOVE your dogs ... VERY cute :) the one that's panting on the left looks a lot like my Josefina.

I use a retractable lead but ONLY for walking around the primisus here (there is a busy rd right by they could get to) when they are out of the yard unless we are having off leash play time, both dogs have great recall so it's easy to call them back. I start them on retractables when they are young ... Perhaps that's why I have never had a puller lol. :9

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.