Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I don't know what SuperChem or CBC is, but if you want your dog's thyroid tested, you can ask them to run it on regular blood work and it would be done in house. It will give you a general idea, but if you want accurate numbers then you need to have them do a Hemopet or MSU full thyroid panel (both these tests are sent out). You have to ask the vet to mark the option where the results are interpreted by an endocrinologist. It takes about a week for results. I had both regular in house and MSU panel done and the results didn't tell me anything we didn't know other than going into a lot more in depth and specifics.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm not familiar with the phrase Superchem. It may be a panel name for a particular laboratory, like Antech. We use IDEXX at my hospital and their chemistry panels do not have thyroid values. We have to request separate panels of thyroid. A CBC is the count and percentage of cells in blood (red blood cells, the various white blood cells, platelets etc). Long as there is serum left after the chemistry, thyroid can certainly be added on. The independent labs can make a little serum go a long way. We can run chemistries in house, but we send out for thyroid because we don't keep those reagents on hand.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't think you can tell them to add it if the tests are already done. They would need a fresh blood sample to run blood work that will include thyroid levels, but make sure you tell them you want thyroid levels.
Depending on how much time has passed it can be added on. We store whole blood and spun blood for one week. When we send out to the lab, we can add on test for a few days after we send in the sample, but I can't remember exactly how long they hold samples.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.