Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My puppy vs PIT BULL

Hi everyone!

I just received my 8 week old puppy a week ago, now 9 weeks, I regularly take him potty outside every hour and daily walks for 15min in the morning and the afternoon. Everything was great until I noticed my neighbor has an American Pitbull Terrier. I do not play much into dog stereotypes, however, I am very careful.

Anyway, in between our apartment buildings, there is a side walk and small grassy "yards" where we both let our dogs go to relieve themselves. The behavior I have noticed from the pit bull is somewhat aggressive, no barking/growling, but tail very erect and the pit bull either stands very still or sits and watches my puppy when we are outside. When the owner tries to pull the pit bull back into their building, it does not budge and the owners wait on him - this is what I am afraid of most. It does not seem like owners have much control over their pit bull when it is just sitting, what more if the pit bull is pulling against them?

Everytime I have seen the pit bull it has been on a leash, BUT a retractable one, and the owners don't seem to mind to make the leash go at least more than 10 ft away from them. We also have breed restrictions against pit bulls in our apartment. If the owners showed more control over the pit bull I would not care, but because I am extremely worried I think I am going to talk to the landlords about this.

I want to know if I am making the right decision? Thank you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Re: My puppy vs PIT BULL

Congrats on your new puppy! It is always a good idea to be aware of other dogs when your puppy is outside but the behavior you described doesn't sound aggressive, the other dog seems curious to me. I have known lots of dogs over the years and some of the nicest ever have been pit bulls :)

Can you talk with your neighbor and ask if their dog is friendly? I would do that first before I talked to the landlord, but that is just me. Good luck!

·
Registered
774 Posts

have you attempted to speak to the pitbull owner about your issues and concerns mostly about the retractable leash?
im trying to think from their side of view i would be highly pissed off if you were the one that caused me to loose my beloved pet or get me evicted from ym home

·
Registered
4,725 Posts

Yeah I would talk to your neighbor first... it would suck if they were kicked out of the building just because of breed discriminatory laws. Also standing still with an erect tail is not really a sign of aggression -- my dog does this too when he sees other dogs in the distance but he is in no way aggressive towards other dogs (he is not even reactive). I do not like retractable leashes, however, especially on larger dogs.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts

Just so I'm clear, you're worried because their dog watches your puppy and they use a retractable leash?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts

I might be more concerned that you're walking your not-fully-vaccinated puppy in an area that other dogs go.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts

Wow.
These people shouldn't be breaking the breed restrictions, but... would you really report them because their dog is watching yours?

Regardless of what you may think, you ARE giving into a media fired fear of the breed.

If you're that worried about it, try to plan your puppy's routine for when the dog isn't out there and when you're out there together, just let your puppy do his business then take him back inside.

And if you still want to do more,at least ask if the dog likes other dogs. The dog could just be excited or may be having a prey drive reaction to the puppy which any dog can have. Please don't get these people evicted because of something that might happen but probably won't.

·
Registered
513 Posts

If you're going to report them for anything, let it be in result of them breaking breed restrictions for your building (which is absolutely foolish on their part), not because their dog "stands very still and sits and watches your puppy". Come on, now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I only gave descriptions of how the pit bull stands hoping to get advice, not criticisms. Standing very still is a sign of dominant aggression and intimidation. I've already established; it's the people I'm worried about that don't know how to control/command their dog because I know it's in a dogs nature to be curious and weary of strange dogs. You guys act like we know where this dog came from and how the owners are taking care of it. They've already broken the rules, if they cared for their dog or cared at all they would simply follow the rules.

One of my friend's pitbull is very friendly to people, not so friendly to animals. Another one of my dogs have also been attacked by a pitbull at a dog park, so no, I'm not speaking from "media fired fear" I'm speaking from my experience with pitbulls. Obviously I don't want my puppy to be another dogs "prey" who would? But my puppy being a pitbull's prey vs. a chihuahua's prey is very different.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice. Seems like I've offended some people by asking a question I was really concerned about.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

I only gave descriptions of how the pit bull stands hoping to get advice, not criticisms. Standing very still is a sign of dominant aggression and intimidation. I've already established; it's the people I'm worried about that don't know how to control/command their dog because I know it's in a dogs nature to be curious and weary of strange dogs. You guys act like we know where this dog came from and how the owners are taking care of it. They've already broken the rules, if they cared for their dog or cared at all they would simply follow the rules.

One of my friend's pitbull is very friendly to people, not so friendly to animals. Another one of my dogs have also been attacked by a pitbull at a dog park, so no, I'm not speaking from "media fired fear" I'm speaking from my experience with pitbulls. Obviously I don't want my puppy to be another dogs "prey" who would? But my puppy being a pitbull's prey vs. a chihuahua's prey is very different.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice. Seems like I've offended some people by asking a question I was really concerned about.
I don't think they are offended, just saying it's silly to report a dog for watching your dog. They even said report it for breaking the breed restriction. But my dogs watch other animals all the time. Normally they are just checking it out, it's not aggressive. If the dog was growling or even lunging or pulling at your puppy I would be worried but you said yourself it was just sitting there.

If the pit bull really wanted your puppy it sounds like from your description it would have had it.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts

Well standing very still CAN be a sign of aggression, but not always. It can also just indicate interest. You need to look at more of the dog's body language like eyes, mouth, ears, tail, how the weight is shifted, and other things.

If it bothers you enough that they are violating the rules, then by all means report them. If you're worried the dog is aggressive because it watches your puppy and is more interested in doing so than in going inside where there are no puppies to watch, then I think you're over-reacting. You came here soliciting opinions about whether you are making the right decision by reporting them, and that's mine. *shrug*

·
Registered
126 Posts

I can understand the issue. I live in an apartment complex where a number of people have broken the breed restriction rule... I personally don't have a problem with it, but what infuriates me is when they are breaking the breed restriction rule, and then don't follow the leash law. There is a person who owns a few pit bulls, and lets them wander around without leashes, and they have attacked people.

Some people have to break the breed rule. Sometimes they have dogs that no complex allows, but they have to live in an apartment due to any number of reasons. They don't want to abandon their dog because of it, so they bring them. My neighbors currently have 3 dogs, 1 of which breaks the rules.

I have a retractable leash, rated for up to 125 pounds. My dog has been stopped from a full tilt sprint using the retractable leash, so it depends on the brand and quality. Definitely go talk to them some time, without your dog. They may be perfectly respectable people who just aren't aware of the concern, but will work around it with you. Such as making sure the keep the dog by them when they see your puppy around.

·
Registered
11,282 Posts

While following the discriminatory breed restrictions might be the "right" thing to do in terms of their lease agreement, it is really not so easy as to "simply follow the rules" since it is very very hard to rent with pit bulls. In part because people freak out over little things that they wouldn't freak out over if the dog was a Labrador (like the dog sitting and staring....). So they may actually care very much about their dog because instead of dumping him at the shelter or giving him away, they are risking their housing and future house to keep a member of their family with them

If the dog was a Labrador that was sitting and staring with the exact same body language, what would you think of it? What would you say to the owners?

Talk to the owners. Find out of their dog is friendly. Don't start off with implying you're worried about the dog because he is a pit, just ask because you have a small puppy and he's a large dog. Just go to a different area and/or at different times.

Think long and hard about reporting them to management because while they may technically be breaking the rules, they aren't really making any problems for anyone else by it and chances are very good that if the landlord says that the dog has to go that the dog will end up dead.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thank you, Saffron and Shell. I have been thinking about it quite a lot. Next time I see them, I will ask if their dog is aggressive. I saw them around before I got my puppy and the pit was really playful and happy when it saw me. I guess seeing the different reaction when it saw my puppy really worried me. Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts

Thank you, Saffron and Shell. I have been thinking about it quite a lot. Next time I see them, I will ask if their dog is aggressive. I saw them around before I got my puppy and the pit was really playful and happy when it saw me. I guess seeing the different reaction when it saw my puppy really worried me. Thanks again!
Even if the dog is not dog friendly, you could just ask them to use a standard leash to avoid any possible problems in the future.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts

I'd start by asking if the dog is friendly rather than assuming the worst. Perhaps you could mention that he seems very interested in your puppy or he doesn't seem to be the same playful dog as you remember. Chances are, people generally assume the worst of their dog and asking, "Is he aggressive?" won't necessarily start the conversation on good terms.

Even if the dog is not dog friendly, you could just ask them to use a standard leash to avoid any possible problems in the future.
Yes, you might mention that extendible leashes have associated safety problems. I would make it seem as though you are interested in the well-being of them and their dog as much as you are concerned about you and your pup's safety.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts

It is very, very likely that if the pit bull is removed from the apartment complex, it will die at a shelter. That's not trying to make you feel bad, it is just a fact.

So- What you've described isn't worrisome to me. The dog seems excited, its on a leash, I don't see an issue.

You asked for opinions and that's mine.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts

Not offended, just a little... disgusted I guess. Maybe that word is too strong.
That you would report these people for no reason. You'll either get them evicted or their dog evicted and the dog will either have to be rehomed or taken to a shelter where it will probably die. That is a lot of hurt because you feel uncomfortable.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Perhaps you could ask the neighbors if the dog is friendly and then ask them if they are willing to go on walks with you..Not side by side but at a distance one following the other. Perhaps with time the dog will get used to each other and the space between them can be shortened until they can go on walks together with no problems then become friends?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Is it an absolute that you HAVE to take your puppy near the pitbull?

I tend to avoid other dogs like crazy when I have a puppy. Even under the best of circumstances, puppies can be annoying to other dogs.

But, for me personally, I would think that if those people really cared about their dog they'd not have it in an apartment complex where they're banned, right?

Why come down on the OP because the dog might get sent to the shelter? Sounds like that's the owner's fault to me. And if the dog doesn't get adopted, that's certainly not the OP's fault.

At my last apartment complex, a guy had a blue chow chow and would walk him at night. He was very typically chow chow; not friendly. Reserved. Liked his owner, but that's all.

I never reported him, because I didn't care that much. But, someone else did and he ended up having to move because he wouldn't get rid of his dog.

Really, it sucks that pitties have such a stigma attached to them. But, between the media hysteria and people who think it's all in how you raise them, I'm inclined to think the truth is in the middle and I personally put all the onus for problems directly on the head of the owner.

If the dog goes to the pound, it's their fault.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts